V4 release candidate closes on start

Running the Windows client for rc1 on my Windows 11 test machine, it opens and closes immediately. I went into the client folder and found a log that looks like one of its dependencies is missing. What dependence is this, and can it be added to the installer?

<trace date="2023-08-24 13:30:17" category="Error"><logdate>2023-08-24 13:30:17</logdate><thread></thread><method>Main</method><message>Unhandled Exception: UnhandledException: Could not load file or assembly &apos;CefSharp, Version=112.2.70.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40c4b6fc221f4138&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.</message>
</trace>
<trace date="2023-08-24 13:30:17" category="Error"><logdate>2023-08-24 13:30:17</logdate><thread></thread><method>Main</method><message>Stack Trace:    at XiboClient.MainWindow.MainWindow_Loaded(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(DependencyObject root, RoutedEvent routedEvent)
   at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastLoadedEvent(Object root)
   at MS.Internal.LoadedOrUnloadedOperation.DoWork()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireLoadedPendingCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.Resize(ICompositionTarget resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.OnResize()
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean&amp; handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean&amp; handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)</message>
</trace>

Did you install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable when prompted by the installer? CefSharp requires this to operate, and I think you’d get the error you’re getting if it wasn’t installed.

I don’t remember the installer prompting me to install anything but trying to troubleshoot this issue I did install the 64bit version of that redistributable. But I am still having the same issue. I just tried to install the one you linked and it told me another was already installed.

@DanBW @Frazer either of you seen this before?

I got the player working on this machine by uninstalling and reinstalling. I think it might have been something with me installing the 4.0 player on top of the older player. I figured an in place upgrade was supported, but seems something did not like it.

Yeah it absolutely should be - we’ve done an in place upgrade in our lab multiple times without any issues.

I’ll go ahead an double check we’re not missing anything from the installer, and rerun some more upgrade tests.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hi Dan and vashadow.

I’ve not seen this behaviour but I’ll test installing and upgrading from older releases to see if the same issue occurs.

@vashadow do you know what player version you were using when you attempted the upgrade? No worries if not, just wondering in case that’s significant.

windows 3 R309.1-309

Thank you vashadow. I have managed to replicate the behaviour you are experiencing and will report the details to the developers. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

Many Thanks.

This is a follow up confirming that the issue is resolved in the latest revision of the R400 player (R400.5). You can download a copy of the newer version here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.