V1.8-r4 on Ubuntu will not start

I have a 1.8-r4 player that ran for a few days then the display went blank. Subsequent reboots did not resolve it (the player app is in autostart)

I found MANY copies of the following in the system log:
Feb 20 16:59:55 sign kernel: [ 922.481804] audit: type=1400 audit(1582217995.496:583):
apparmor=“DENIED” operation=“open” profile=“snap.xibo-player.xibo-player” name="/home/xxx/snap/xibo-player/28/xibo-player-library/85.html" pid=7563 comm=“player” requested_mask=“wc” denied_mask=“wc” fsuid=1000 ouid=1000
Feb 20 16:59:56 sign xibo-player.desktop[1373]: [16:59:56.412] [3974] [error]: [Main] [WidgetGtk] Scale factor should be positive

A look at /home/user/snap/xibo-player indicated that current was link to the 37 directory. There is also a 28 directory in the same location. I tried relinking current to 28 and received the same errors. It also restored the original link to 37.

I’ve also tried to convince apparmor to move the app to ‘complain’ rather than ‘enforce’ but I cannot seem to work out the incantation to make that happen. apparmor constantly complains about not being able to find the matching profile.

I’ve manually set the sizes in the playerSettings.xml; we’ll see how that goes…

Thoughts? Anyone? Buelller?

T.

It seems that setting a specific screen size in playerSettings.xml has resolved some, but not all of my issues. The player is now checking into the CMS, however the apparmor error persists.

Also, I now have these gems in syslog:
Feb 20 20:04:20 sign player[1577]: console message: http://127.0.0.1:9696/xibo-layout-scaler.js @20: ReferenceError: Can’t find variable: jQuery
Feb 20 20:04:20 sign player[1577]: console message: http://127.0.0.1:9696/85.html @45: ReferenceError: Can’t find variable: $

T.

Soooo… I manually updated the cmsSettings.xml file to point to the library in ./37 rather than ./28 and the apparmor error is now gone - Yippie!

This one still persists…
Feb 20 20:04:20 sign player[1577]: console message: http://127.0.0.1:9696/xibo-layout-scaler.js @20: ReferenceError: Can’t find variable: jQuery

T.

have you looked inside your display’s advance settings to ensure your have LINUX as the settings profile?

Yes and yes.

Actually, I created a copy of the original ‘linux’ profile and increased the log level to debug and specified the screen size appropriate for the attached screen. Frankly, I don’t really see what specifies this as a ‘linux’ profile other than the name.

Thanks for the reply.

T.

We did make a change between revision 28 and revision 37 whereby the default library location for the player moved into common instead of in the revision specific folder (precisely to solve this error).

It may be that your version auto-upgraded to 37 and didn’t migrate properly (sorry if that is the case). Why now? I’m not sure - 37 has been out for a while now and we’ve not pushed anything else into the stable release channel recently.

I’d recommend changing that now to prevent future mishaps - you can find the common folder one level up from the revision specific one.

Thanks for the reply Dan.

Two questions -

• Is there a way to make that change (library dir) on the CMS and have it fed to the players, or, do I need to manually change it on the player(s)?

• How do I control the autoupdating of the player software? I’m rather new to the Snap world so please excuse my ignorance. Is this a setting on the CMS? at the OS level on the player?

I have a ‘master disk image’ that I use to create new players using Clonezilla. This particular player was recently created from that image. The image itself is at least 6 months old so it contains whatever was current at the time.

T.

Update:

The player ran for a few hours yesterday after I had made the changes described above. Now it is reporting the following:

Feb 21 15:33:01 sign player[1579]: message repeated 19 times: [ gst_poll_read_control: assertion ‘set != NULL’ failed]
Feb 21 15:33:01 sign player[1579]: gst_poll_read_control: assertion ‘set != NULL’ failed
Feb 21 15:33:01 sign player[1579]: message repeated 7 times: [ gst_poll_read_control: assertion ‘set != NULL’ failed]
Feb 21 15:33:01 sign player[1579]: gst_poll_read_control: assertion ‘set != NULL’ failed

I have just manually changed the library location in the cmsSettings.xml and restarted – will update with status later.

T.

try…
the folder must be set in the player to store images and files fetched from the CMS for playback. Create that folder inside your /home/Pictures folder then use that. in the CMS…got to DISPLAY SETTINGS and you can set the time interval for CMS to update your players of new or deleted items…to better save bandwidth…go for 30minutes or even 1hr depending on how often you have new stuff

1 Like

No there isn’t i’m afraid - its one of the few “player side only” configuration options. I guess you might be able to write a bash script to do it, and trigger that using a Command from the CMS - not something we’ve tried.

Snaps are OS level (well snapcraft level) - they have some docs to determine how that process is triggered: https://snapcraft.io/docs/keeping-snaps-up-to-date

We know about this and its unrelated - see GStreamer gst_poll_read_control assert error after long playback - CentOS 7 · Issue #153 · xibosignage/xibo-linux · GitHub & Gstreamer Critical Error set != NULL after approx 16 hours · Issue #121 · xibosignage/xibo-linux · GitHub

This is the number 1 issue we’re trying to solve at the moment - we will do our best to get it sorted as soon as we can (we’re trying to build gstreamer manually, which is the component causing the memory leak which is causing that message).

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.