User group presets - help needed

CMS Version

Version 3.0.2

Player Type

Android

Player Version

3 Revision 300

Issue

I love the User Group settings and the way to work with it. Today I did set up a group for users that mainly will add and create data in datasets. That is working perfectly.

Then I was asked to give the possibility of preview the layout (to check if text length is ok etc).
But I need to have the ‘Allow edits including…’ checkbox checked to allow a WORKING preview. (see screenshot). If not checked, the preview of layouts is there but with errors.

Could there be a way just to allow previews without being able to delete and edit?

Best
Heiko

Hi, great to see you are taking advantage of the User groups and Features in v3 :+1:

You can set Share options on Layouts with regards to View/Edit/Delete properties so you can enable View and the User will not be able to Edit or Delete the Layout.

1 Like

Hello @natasha,
I now wanted to do it as you wrote. I did share the layout with the user (or the usergroup). But the preview shows this:

Do I have to share more than the layout?

Hi, are there other media items on the Layout that have not been shared with the User/User Group?

If this does not resolve your issue could you confirm which share options you have set on the Layout and Media? What features have you enabled for the User/User Group? Did you create this manually?

Thank you

@natasha
Thank you for the answer.
I have created a version that should allow only work on the media and the dataset.
That works fine. With the ‘share’ function I wanted to give the possibility to preview a layout without editing. This does not work. I try to find the one button that I am missing, but with no success.
Here are the main settings as screenshot.

@natasha
I think I found a way:
In the Usergroup settings I did generally allow ‘Allow edits including deletion to be made to all created Layouts’

In the ‘Share’ settings of a dedicated layout, I only set the selection to ‘View’ for a user which then seems to reduce the Usergroup settings from ‘you can do everything’ to ‘you can only view’.

Am I right?

Yes if you only give ‘View’ access then it will restrict access and not allow for editing or deletion of the Layout.

I have copied the Features you have enabled and I am able to just view a Layout, here is the process I followed:

• Created a User Group and enabled the Features below:

• I then created a User manually and selected the created User Group as the Initial User Group and set the Homepage to Icon Dashboard:

• I then created a Folder (from the Layout grid) and set only “View” access for the Share options
  • I then moved a Layout to that new folder
  • So Users could also view the media that has been added to this particular layout, I moved the files to this folder from the Media grid.

Now, If I login as the new user I can click on Layouts and from the row menu I only have the option to Preview Layout and see the media that has been added to the layout.

Do let me know if this works for you!

Ok, I will try your way too, because what I did:
I created a user and already selected the role. Then I am asked to choose the folder and I took the one that is needed.
Then go to the layout and I used the share option for every layout. (I haven’t realised that the folder is also sharable).

Wow, I think I do understand now.
I knew that there MUST be a way and I only have to find it. Thank you for taking the time to share all the details @natasha! I’m a bit deeper now into Xibo.

Oh wait. If I do it your way with the folders, then also the dataset is restricted. That’s not as I need it. So I have to set only “View” access to the layouts, not to the folders.

If you apply Share options to a Folder then everything that is already contained or added to will inherit those permissions. You could create another folder to hold the datasets with different share options applied or as you say set those on the objects instead :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.