Updating Xibo 2.3.10

To be completed by the original poster:

CMS Version

Installation Method

Docker

Operating System

Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS

Issue

I’m trying to update an old Xibo installation from 2.3.10 to the latest. I know I need to go to 2.3.16 first, then 3.3.7, then 4.0.0. I am inexperienced when it comes to Ubuntu, so am just ‘getting by!’

So I’m stopping the containers and removing the old tar file, downloading and extracting the 2.3.16 release and then running a pull and an up -d using the commands below.

cd /opt/xibo
docker-compose stop
rm xibo-docker.tar.gz

wget -O xibo-docker.tar.gz https://github.com/xibosignage/xibo-cms/releases/download/2.3.16/xibo-docker.tar.gz
tar --strip-components=1 -zxvf xibo-docker.tar.gz
docker-compose pull
docker-compose up -d

Using docker-compose logs-f cms-web, it sits there for the full 300 seconds trying to start the MySQL container

Running docker-compose logs-f cms-db, the first error I see is…
[Warning] InnoDB: Retry attempts for writing partial data failed
[ERROR] InnoDB: Write to file ./ibtmp failed at offset 0, 1048576 bytes should have been written, only 0 were written. Operating system error number 28. Check that your OS and file system support files of this size. Check also that the disk is not full or a disk quote exceeded.

Once the 300 seconds has been reached, the cms-web log says…
ERROR 2005 (HY000): Unknown MySQL server host ‘mysql’ (-3)
New install

The ERROR 2005 then repeats itself.

I guess because it can’t connect to the database it is treating it as a new install?

I’ve researched the ./ibtmp error, and have tried restarting the mysql container to clear this file down, and also have tried restarting the mysql service from within the container and neither help.

This is a VM and I’ve taken a snapshot so I’m able to return it back to a working 2.3.10 install, but I’ve tried various release versions between 2.3.10 and 2.3.16 with the same results.

I updated the OS on this VM to the latest 20.04 LTS release (20.04.6) last week and updated all packages (so docker is on the latest release, too). I’ve restored a backup clone of this VM from prior to this, incase it’s the latest .6 release or latest docker causing the issue and this behaves exactly the same.

Feeling very out of my depth now so would appreciate any help anyone can give!

Hi welcome to the Xibo Community!

We would recommend that you roll the VM back so you have a working 2.3.10 install. Then you need to check if the backups are being written OK to shared/backup/db.There should be a latest.sql.gz in there.

If there is, and it’s recent you can down the containers, upgrade the yaml files (as per the instructions, instead of uping straight away).

mv shared/db shared/db.old
cp shared/backup/db/latest.sql.gz shared/backup
cd shared/backup
gunzip latest.sql.gz
mv latest.sql import.sql
cd ../../
docker-compose up -d

The above will make a fresh database and import that backup in to it, and will hopefully work around your problem with the existing mysql data files.

Thanks Natasha, I will give this a go tomorrow! There is definitely a recent backup in there dated yesterday, as I checked that prior to the upgrade - along with ensuring the library was being written to correctly as per the instructions.

With this method of creating a new DB and importing the backup - can I go straight to the latest version from 2.3.10 or should I still follow the process of going to the highest release of each major chain in turn?

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Andy

Hi Natasha,

I’ve given this a go this morning (with 2.3.16), and have got a bit further. The errors about ./ibtmp and the disk being full are now not present. Looking at the cms-db logs, the db container now starts in about 15 seconds and says it is ready for connections.

However, it looks like the cms-web container is still unable to communicate with it? The resultant error is

I’ve pasted the full log below.

If I try to ping ‘mysql’, I am given ‘Temporary failure in name resolution’

If I try to browse to the server I am given ‘Fatal Error - sorry this shouldn’t happen. SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Try again’

Would appreciate any additional help you can give :slight_smile:

Full cms-web log…

Waiting for MySQL to start max 300 seconds
MySQL started
Updating settings.php
Attempting to import database
Importing Database
Configuring Database Settings
Setting up Maintenance
Setting up Quickchart
New install
Provisioning Database
Phinx by CakePHP - https://phinx.org. 0.9.2
using config file .varwwwcmsphinx.php
using config parser php
using migration paths
/var/www/cms/db/migrations
warning no environment specified, defaulting to: production
using adapter mysql
using database cms
In MysqlAdapter.php line 115:
There was a problem connecting to the database: SQLSTATE [HY000] [2002] php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Try again
migrate [-c|–configuration CONFIGURATION] [-pl–parser PARSER] [-el–environment ENVIRONMENT] [-t–target TARGET] [-d–date DATE] [-x|–dry-run]
Configuring Database Settings
Setting up Maintenance
Protected Maintenance
Importing ca-certs
cp: can’t stat ‘/var/www/cms/ca-certs/.pem’: No such file or directory
cp: can’t stat '/var/www/cms/ca-certs/
.crt’: No such file or directory.
WARNING: ca-certificates.crt does not contain exactly one certificate or CRL: skipping
Setting up Quickchart
Configuring Maintenance
Removing web/install/index.php from production container
Starting cron
Starting webserver
AH00558: httpd: Could not reliably determine the server’s fully qualified domain name, using 172.18.0.5. Set the ‘ServerName’ directive globally to suppress this message

I have spoken to our support team who have said that in order to give you further advice on what to do they would need to see it and have offered to take a look. There is availability to do that this afternoon if you are able to do the following:

• Roll the VM back to how it was initially
  • Have TeamViewer access to a workstation that has SSH and web access to the server.

Do let me know if this is something you can arrange for today.

Hi Natasha,

That would be awesome, thank you very much - yes, I can arrange that. Let me know how to best get my contact details to you?

Andy

You can send me the details as a direct message.

Thanks

Hi,

I’ve tried to send you a direct message but it says I don’t have permission, perhaps because I’m a new user? I have sent the message to the moderators group, hopefully you will see that :slight_smile:

Andy

I had a look at this with Andy. The server was out of storage space. We were able to allocate some more space, and complete the upgrades to v4.

1 Like

Thanks again, Alex. I can’t thank you enough! Apologies it was such an obvious issue, my Linux skills are a bit noob!

Appreciate you getting us up and running :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.