Unsupported Raspberry Python Xibo client - We may help you!

Hi all,
Im using with success the Python version for the Raspberry PI with success in a commercial product I own.

I went through lots of issues / workaround / fixes during the last months or years and would like to use this topic to help other users of the Python client, so even though it is not supported any more officially by the Xibo team, the community (and myself) will try to best to help you.

So, post your questions here!

thanks!

Ricardo
*the product I mentioned if you want to see: youplugy.com.br

1 Like

Thank you for coming forward - I am sure the community will appreciate the assistance! :smile:

1 Like

Is the source code for the version youā€™ve modified available somewhere for download please?

ok, it is much more workarounds and some personal experiences than coding actually (I changed a little bit only), thatā€™s why I dont think sharing the code here is important - of course I can share with anyone what I did anytimeā€¦

Idea is more hear the pains and issues people are having with Python Xibo client and, if me or someone already found a solution, we share here.

Is that ok for you?

@ricardogil yes by all means. Weā€™d be very happy for you to contribute your knowledge!

It is the minimum I can do since Xibo app is being so great and important for me.
Count with me for anything, I hope I can help someone!

1 Like

@ricardogil Does the pyclient works with 1.7.1 ?

Man initially not, there are workarounds for that but I dont recommendā€¦

Basically the Python at its last version, tries to send SOAP message to talk to Xibo CMS 1.7.x that are not compatibleā€¦

I tried simulating Im a valid 1.7.1 client send SOAP messages manually (like using SOAP UI) then I kinda ā€œcheatedā€ so the CMS thought I had a valid clientā€¦ But it worked to register the client and I would need to do the same for the RequestMedia and others SOAP callsā€¦

CMS 1.7 is amazing, but for now Im still using the 1.6 due to the constraints (maybe some hours of work in the 1.7php code we could make it compatible with Python )
**not talking here about last features like: take screenshot and things like that

thanks!

Thanks for the answer. I have not worked with 1.6. I think I have to look at other narrowcasting software. Xibo is pretty limited in adding nice effects to slides/templates etc. It is not ā€˜blingā€™ enough for my client.

Well, if we consider Raspberry and Xibo client you will must remember the maximum you can is show images with simple transitions, videos works but after few loops it stops, also RSS and some other things worksā€¦

If you need to add nice effects than I would try the Android/Windows version

Thanks!
Thatā€™s definitely NOT what my client wants (video and RSS stop working).
Iā€™ll give up on Xibo for now.

Shame, you have already contributed a nice forecastio template! Hope you find what you are looking for with other solutions.

Iā€™ll still follow Xibo, but for this client, the possibilities are too limited (animation of template content is what other narrowcasting software do offer and thatā€™s what he likes. I still do have to see if he will pay a monthly fee though).
He would also like to see it running on a Raspberry (very small, can be put behind the monitor without problems, low cost).

Sorry to keep banging on about this, but it comes up so often. Iā€™ve always been really clear but people just donā€™t seem to understand the fundamental realities of the original RPi hardware.

I can never conceive of a fully featured client that will run on a RPi. There is just not enough processing power there for us. Sure the old Python client can be made to run but with significant limitations. If you are able to work around those then thatā€™s great, but the project arenā€™t going to push a solution where only 50% of the functionality works.

The RPi 2 has a bit more poke and should be capable of running Android, so when/if Android is released for RPi 2 then Xibo for Android should run there (weā€™ve not tested that so donā€™t take that as an indication of likely performance or official support).

Itā€™s fabulous that @ricardogil is willing to offer his help to those looking to get the old client running subject to those limitations and I wholeheartedly thank him for putting forward his time.

1 Like

You are certainly right that animation support is lacking in the windows player and even in Xibo in general (although Xibo for Android does support transitions, as did the Python Client). We have moved forward a bit with the new effects in text/tickers - but fundamentally we need to support animation between regions and layouts. The block for that is a better CMS UI for transitions and importantly a rewritten windows player.

Things like your template really help up improve the visual appeal of Xibo in the short term, meanwhile we are working on the above in the longer term.

Just out of curiosity, have you used Kivy (kivy.org)? Is Raspberry capable of running OpenGL apps? I have not a Raspberry available at this time.

I believe the RPi does have some ability to render OpenGL. Does Kivy have support for rendering HTML5 in a transparent container (ie can I show a video in a browser with a transparent background), and can I show multiple hardware accelerated videos simultaneously with content overlaying the video? Itā€™s things like that that we need to move forwards.

Last time Iā€™ve played with Kivy it had video played container/controller, but no html5 rendering engine. Iā€™m not a Python developer but what was very interesting about Kivy, was itā€™s performance.

No HTML5 rules it out then for all practical purposes as Xibo relies on that increasingly for various media types.

Discusson about future direction is being had over here:

@alex Sorry, Iā€™m pretty new to Xibo, so I missed your opinion on Raspberry Pi. Ofcourse I meant the RPi2-B.

@dan Iā€™m still surprised that the ā€œinteractiveā€ touch gets more priority than animation support, which a lot more people probably gonna need. But then again, itā€™s probably a business decision.

For a better CMS UI for transitions/animations/etc take a look at Adobe Edge/After Effects/Premiere (effects). That seems to work well (not only for Adobe, but also for designers and ā€˜normalā€™ customers).