Stock Widget not returning data

Has anyone reported their Stock Widgets not returning data recently. It has been working fine for about 3 months and all of a sudden there’s no data returned.

I’m on 1.8.11

Tony

I have tested the Stocks Widget on my Xibo setup and it appears to be working correctly.

How many items do you have in each stock widget? We would recommend no more than 5 items per widget.

How often are you requesting the stock information? There are limits to the amount of calls you can make on the free API key.

Have you made any changes to the Widget/Layout? If so, please let me know what those changes are.

I am happy to take a look at your layout to see if there is an issue. Please use the below link to upload your exported layout and private message me the link you are given. I can then run the layout on my CMS to test performance.

https://transfer.xibo.org.uk/

I would also recommend selecting the Report Fault option in your CMS and Turning on Debugging. Follow the instructions and then Edit and Save the Widget in your layout. this will then record logs for the widget, which will help to narrow down the issue. You are welcome to privately send me these logs, I can take a closer look for you.

Many Thanks.

I’m also experiencing what tdelaurie was inquiring about almost a year ago. For me, the Stocks and Weather widgets are not returning the data and I’ve obtained an API key for both from Alpha Vantage and Dark Sky respectively which I am using in the installed modules. I’ve tested them on both versions: 1.8.12 and 2.0.0, with the same result, no data returned. DanBW, I’ve followed your instructions and have a downloaded troubleshoot.zip file of the debugging logs.

Hi Jake, Mine has been working fine since this post. Can you show us your code to review?

Hi Tony. Thanks for your response. I guess I should have prefaced my first post that I’m a beginner with Xibo and digital signage in general, however I’m in the tech industry so I’m well versed in technology. I’m just testing Xibo out to see if my organization could potentially use it in the future.

All I’ve done is set up a very simple layout composed of a region for a Stocks widget to reside in and another region for the Weather widget to reside in. For both widgets I’m using the preset templates which I imagine already have the code necessary to access the APIs and then added the Stock Symbol information that I’m interested in as well as fill in the other settings. As far as the APIs, I’ve entered the API keys for both the Stocks and Weather modules in the “Modules” section after having installed them which I’m guessing work hand-in-hand with the widgets and preset templates to in the end output the end result. Am I missing something?

I thank you in advance,
Jake

Thank you for your message and for testing out Xibo. Could you provide the following information?

• What is the version of CMS you are using? Is it a Docker or Custom installation?
  • What version of the Player are you using?
  • If you check the Logs section in your CMS, are you seeing any errors for your Players?
  • After creating the Regions containing the Weather and Stocks is any information returned in the Layout designer or are the Regions appearing blank?

Many Thanks.

Hi Dan! Thanks for your help. Here are my answers:

What is the version of CMS you are using? Is it a Docker or Custom installation?
I’ve used both versions 1.8.12 and 2.0.0 with the same results which are using xampp web server, not Docker.

What version of the Player are you using?
N/A. My issue doesn’t concern the player quite yet. I can’t even get the design to pull any results.

If you check the Logs section in your CMS, are you seeing any errors for your Players?
No errors in my logs. Once again, I can’t even get the design layout to output results from these widgets so I’m not too concerned with the players quite yet.

After creating the Regions containing the Weather and Stocks is any information returned in the Layout designer or are the Regions appearing blank?
No information is being returned from both the Stocks and Weather widgets. This is my whole issue. I’ve obtained an API key from both Alpha Vantage and Dark Sky for each respective widget and have included them in the field located in each installed module. For some reason no results are being pulled.

Does anyone have any idea why these two widgets aren’t working for me? I’m still trying to figure this all out and neither is successful when clicking “Get Results” for the Stocks widget or “Get Forecast” for the Weather widget. Absolutely nothing appears.

Thanks

If you post your code and layout settings we can look and advise.

I’m new to this. I’ve exported the layout to a zip file, but I don’t see a way to upload that type of file on here. Nor can I upload multiple screenshots of my settings or even a PDF attachment since I’m a new user. Could you please advise me how I’m supposed to do what you’ve asked?

Thank you

I was finally granted basic permissions to be able to attach documents. Attached is a PDF of multiple screenshots showing the settings I’m currently using. I still do not know of a way to upload my exported ZIP layout file. If an email address was provided I could send a download link from Google Drive or something like that.
Stocks_and_Weather_Widget_Settings.pdf (855.8 KB)

I finally figured it out. My logs were finally giving me error information and it pointed to a certificate issue which I was able to successfully resolve. Thanks for all of your help.