Recommended Android player

A couple of velcro tabs will hold any of the recommended devices to the back of a TV with no problem.

If you absolutely have to have a stick, then please be very sure of its ability to be cooled as our experience in the past has been that they aren’t designed to be run 24/7 and will either overheat, or will fail due to components overheating internally.

Here is a ‘HDMI’ stick version. I have used over 50 of these units. They work good, but sometimes the firmware needs to be changed, due to crashing. Works really well for running 24 hours a day, typically ‘black’ screen for about 6-8 hours at night. Can run ‘interleave’ displays very well.

http://www.amazon.com/VALI-S400-Cortex-A9-Mali-400MP4-Quad-Core/dp/B00D7Y908O/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1440417762&sr=8-13&keywords=s400+android http://www.amazon.com/VALI-S400-Cortex-A9-Mali-400MP4-Quad-Core/dp/B00D7Y908O/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1440417762&sr=8-13&keywords=s400+android

I have used these before with good luck. This one does NOT have “AUTO “ Power on - it is a button, incase of power failure button must be pressed. Does work really well though

http://www.amazon.com/Android-Cortex-A9-External-Antenna-Controller/dp/B00F2A2PQA/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1440417236&sr=8-24&keywords=rk3188+stick http://www.amazon.com/Android-Cortex-A9-External-Antenna-Controller/dp/B00F2A2PQA/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1440417236&sr=8-24&keywords=rk3188+stick

How can I let the android stick or box shutdown/standby when the TV is off?
And when I turn the TV on, the android device will automatically boot.

Is this anyway posible?

some devices can be powered by the USB from the tv. I have had some problems with this, but some units do okay. Over time just watch the cords - the TV power from USB is un-regulated. Can cause the cords to burn up, or the units.

If it is powered by USB - works on/off just with the tv. Also works with standby - black screen. Only way to get it come back on from standby though is for tv to be powered off then back on.

I know this topic is a few months old, but wanted to update everyone on the devices I use.

The “HDMI stick” that was working so well - has been discontinued. Only available from direct vendors in China. I am looking into being able to re-sell them and make them available here again.

I have found a MXQ box that works pretty well.

does need a SD card because of 1 GB ram.

Just FYI we’ve had reports of problems playing back videos on that device - specifically that it won’t play back more than one video simultaneously. It’s probably firmware related so can likely be fixed.

Thanks Alex. Currently using full screen 1 region. Will keep that in mind
when
splitting regions.

As described above, (only months later now) we are still using the MINIX Neo Z64 Android’s with much success 24x7x365. Using WiFi networking and no sound on 24" ASUS 1920x1200 16:10 screens - no issues at all (other than the occasional power related problem easily fixed by a UPS if they are in critical areas). We are nearly ready to deploy a few more.

1 Like

The minix systems are very nice. I have looked at and used them before.
Trying
to be cost savings when ordering 20-30, it adds up quickly.
The one I use now by adding a sd card and storing Xibo files on it - no
issues.
Running 24 hours a day. Video and images with no sound.

Hi everyone. I saw this thread and thought I would share my experience with using various Android Sticks (no boxes) with Xibo.
We use Xibo in our production area (we are a manufacturing company) to show production/tool status. Best way to describe it, would be something like the flight status displays you would see in airport terminals but used for manufacturing. We also have a few set up as digital marquees and information screens for our employees (News, Events, Weather, etc.)
We started out with the Tronsmart CX-919 sticks (approx 20-25 units) almost 2 years ago but we have since moved over to UPPEL MK903V units that I am getting from Amazon (10 units and counting). I have also tested the RKM V5 unit.

In our environment, none of the displays have video content, only pictures or HTML, so we probably haven’t taxed them too much. We also have opted to add a USB to Ethernet/USB hub adapter because WiFi on Android sticks always seems to be hit or miss.

Also, if I can give some advice for those who want to avoid upgrading firmware to get 1080p. Target units that say they are 4K devices. This means that when you get the device, the base display resolution will be 1080p but will play 4K content (movies) when used on a 4K TV. These devices also seem to have speedier hardware to handle the 4k content thus giving Xibo some more horsepower to use. Just remember that the Android sticks won’t necessarily perform as well as the boxes because of CPU throttling; this is due to heat concerns.
If any of you need links to devices, just let me know.

Anyway, here is my thoughts about the sticks I have used:

Tronsmart CX-919.

Specs: 2G RAM / 8G Storage – RK3188, 1.6Ghz Quad Core CPU -
Pros:
• Unit cost is cheap: Approximately $43 per unit (Geekbuying.com has them for $19.99 at the moment).
• Haven’t had any issues with units dying (they run 24x7).
Cons:
• Firmware must be updated to get 1080p.
• Not as speedy but it’s not terrible.
• Purchasing time is delayed. Units must be ordered from China so there is a time delay in receiving the product (Amazon used to stock these in their U.S. warehouse but no longer do)
• It seems like Tronsmart may be discontinuing the production of this model - Supply is hit or miss.
• No built in Ethernet adapter - More of an inconvenience than a con.
Notes about generic CX-919s:
Amazon has a lot of generic CX-919 sticks as do other sites. Buyer Beware!! These are not the same units as the Tronsmart CX-919! Finding 1080p firmware is difficult if not impossible at times – not worth the money and headaches in my opinion.

Uppel MK903V:

Specs: 2G RAM / 8G Storage – RK3288, 1.8Ghz Quad Core CPU
Pros:
• Production value is very nice: Metal casing with removable WiFi antenna. They have a great feel to them.
• Units are 4k display devices so they are 1080p out of the box (4k movie content). No need to flash a new firmware to get Xibo to display 1080p content.
• Come with an IR remote that may make on site control/changes easier. We don’t use them at the moment.
• The version of Kitkat on these devices seems quite polished.
• A bit speedier that the CX-919. Our News tickers scroll smoothly now!
Cons:
• Bit more expensive: Approximately $84 each
• Unsure who is manufacturing these devices so getting consistent hardware in the future may be a problem (only time will tell)
• No built in Ethernet adapter - More of an inconvenience than a con.

RKM V5

Specs: 2G RAM / 16G Storage – RK3288, 1.8Ghz Quad Core CPU
Pros:
• Built in Ethernet adapter!
• Production value is nice. Plastic case but has a solid feel to it.
• Two full size USB ports. Eliminates the need for a hub if you need to connect more than one device.
• Double the onboard storage.
• Units are 4k display devices so they are 1080p out of the box (4k movie content). No need to flash a new firmware to get Xibo to display 1080p content.
• Comes with Kitkat so it has a bit more features and fixes.
• A bit speedier that the CX-919. Our News tickers scroll smoothly now!
Cons:
• More expensive: Approximately $100 each –But this does eliminate the need for an Ethernet dongle.
• Wasn’t able to remove icons from the Android desktop (we customize the desktop to give a consistent look and feel)
• Doesn’t use the micro USB cable to power the device. Has a dedicated PowerSupply with built in cable and plug. This rules out powering the device with the TVs onboard USB port.

The USB to Ethernet/USB hub we are using as well:
Sabrent 2-Port Portable USB 2.0 Hub and 10/100 Ethernet LAN Network Adapter: Approx $14

1 Like

I have used alot of Trinsmart 808b+ sticks and have have one total failure out of 6 sticks in that location in a year.

The MXQ S805 is another one I am using but am having someone trim down the firmware to a more gutted version of Andy 4.4

None of these have failed yet and seem to operate well… Note: if on wifi the S805 is a little skittish on a reboot command and reconnecting to wifi

1 Like

I am using the mk808b under a wifi connection without to much issue. I had one $40 stick go out in 4-6 years so I call that a win. But commercial displays and or plasma’s are like force fields for wifi LOL so locate stick at edge of display or elsewhere.

I also been running the MXQ pro for a while. These depending on manufacture are not rooted and or have no ability for portrait mode blahhh, but run ok

On both i run video and images with transitions and overlays but not multiple videos at same time as of yet.

I tested some Android Box, the best one was :

• H96 Pro (~50€)
    It can play video smoothly, but it can’t handle two videos (maybe the Max version can).
    Not very expensive.
    Android 7.0
    Rooted
    Updates (H96 is a good product)
    One of the best of android boxes (CPU : S912 , GPU Mali-T820MP4). Only the RK3399 can beat it.

And there are some deals where you can have it for less than 50€ !

I will test the H96 Max and the Yundoo later, they have a better GPU so I will test two or three videos at the same time.

I’m testing H96 max, and it makes xibo a lot better.

• Transitions are more fluid
  • You can play as many videos as you want (5 videos ? No prob)
  • Rss and every text transitions are a lot better than many other box (H96 pro was a bit laggy for text)
  • Run layouts very quickly

If you want a very good Xibo experience, I think this box is a very good choice ! (For 80€)

2 Likes

Currently testing the UGOOS AM3 for android deployments. AM3

http://ugoos.net/image/cache/data/AM3/003-700x700.jpg

This device has been threw some testing by me and now have three in production use as well as 2 more order and on way. Replacing some 4 year old mk808b sticks who’s wifi is degrading. Don’t get me wrong the mk808b has been the best Android player I have ever had till this point. Hell 4 years of continuous operation on a $35 tv stick is insane. My real world cost expectations where 6 moth to a year tops on the mk808b.

Flashed mine to Android 7.1 with out the clutter and plan to test some stuff with the user init scripting at a later date as well as some ipsec vpn stuff. They have other models with similar specs.

Nominal price for the Ugoos AM3 is around $94-98 shipped. Its a rooted octa core amlogic box with.

• 2/16GB
  • 2.4/5Ghz Wifi
  • Metal housing

Nowadays, we are using Tinker board with its android rooted version.

It works really well, you can create image easily and there are cheap (around 55€+15€ for accessories).

We have almost 20 of them used by our customers and from now, no issue at all (maybe need a reboot every 10 days but every other players need this too).

It’s powerful enough to be able to play anything, and we are pleased to see that there are a lot of updates and almost no bug at all.

If you want an android player, you might want to try this

1 Like

Testing went ok, have replaced 5/7 units at location with the Ugoos AM3. No issues as of yet. Waiting for the Rom tool for newer android 7 for custom editing… :frowning:

I’m thinking in a h96 pro+ android box for ussing xibo… Its complicate the installation? And its necessary root? Thank u un avance.

And sorry for muy vas english

I’m thinking in a h96 pro+ android box for ussing xibo… Its complicate the installation? And its necessary root? Thank u in avance.

And sorry for my bad english