Problems with android tv

Hi community,

I am a bit desperate as my combination xibo/android tv is very independable since the start. Datasets not loading at all, or updates in datasets not coming thru, players suddenly logging out.
Hope someone here could help me find a solution… Thanks in advance!

My setup:

• Xibo latest version docker (4.0.6) with XMR (tcp://OURXIBO.duckdns.org:9505)
  • 2 screens with Nokia Streaming box 8010, android tv 11
  • 2x Perpetual licences , latest android version R402

Log shows these errors constantly for both players (Hoeilaart and Overijse), almost every minute:

2023-12-21 11:24 PLAYER POST ERROR Hoeilaart Subscriber Unable to open message: javax.crypto.BadPaddingException/error:04000089:RSA routines:OPENSSL_internal:PKCS_DECODING_ERROR

2023-12-21 11:23 XMDS POST ERROR Overijse GetData getData: Failed to get data cache for widgetId 271, e = Cache not ready

Send a photo of the CMS of the Player page where you show your players

Thanks for the reply Lucas. You mean just the ‘displays’ page in XIBO?

Any idea Henrique_Lucas?

Hi Snorrebot.

I can see you have listed a few issues with your Xibo for Android player on your Android TV device (Nokia streaming box).

The first thing I would suggest checking is that the network connection being used by your Nokia device is stable. If you are seeing connection issues, and also not seeing dataset updates come through on your Xibo player, they both have potential network issues in common.
In your screenshot of the displays page in your CMS, you can see that Overijse is not logged in at that time. The last accessed date is 22:28, which is about 20 minutes before the last time Hoeilaart last checked in.

• What is the collect interval you are using for your displays?
  • Were both of those displays supposed to be running and working correctly at the time you took that screenshot?
  • What are the faults they are reporting? You can check that by clicking the button at the end of the entry for each display and go to the Manage option in the menu. There will be a fault section with more information.

Regarding the errors you posted:

This error is XMR related. You could try reconfiguring XMR for that display to see if it solves that error. You do that on the Displays page in your CMS, by clicking the button at the end of the entry for the display and choose Edit from the menu. When the edit display window opens, go to the Advanced tab and tick the reconfigure XMR box. Save to confirm. That should rekey the display when it next connects to your CMS.

This one suggests the cached data for one of the widgets in your layout failed to be received by the display.
I would recommend checking that all of the Tasks in your CMS are running without error or issue. You could also check the layout to see if that is updating with the latest dataset data, in case the root cause of the issue is not related to the player but your dataset, or your CMS.

• Are you using a remote dataset, or is this a dataset created and updated manually in your CMS?
  • Was this working without issue before, or have you always had this issue with your displays and CMS?

Many Thanks.

Hi DanBW. Thanks a lot for your time and effort! Really appreciate it.
I reply to all of your questions below. I order them by error.

Unable to open message: javax.crypto.BadPaddingException/error:04000089:RSA routines:OPENSSL_internal:PKCS_DECODING_ERROR

What is the collect interval you are using for your displays?
The datasets collect every 2 minutes

• Were both of those displays supposed to be running and working correctly at the time you took that screenshot?
Yes. They need to run 24/7, and also at that time. They seem to lose their connection with the cms every now and then. Both of the players. Sometimes they reconnect after a while, sometimes they don’t and have to be restarted manually.

• What are the faults they are reporting? You can check that by clicking the button at the end of the entry for each display and go to the Manage option in the menu. There will be a fault section with more information.
I have two different errors:
- 5001 : no data
- memory full error (absolutely impossible that the memory is full, my layouts are just two pages with a logo and text from a dataset (google sheet) and my player has 32gb flash and 4gb ram.

Concerning the network connection stability: each player is on a different location, never had any problems with wifi on both locations.
Also both locations are showing the same errors in the log, would be quite coincidental. I could try to hard wire them with utp. But I doubt my network is at fault here…

I will try to try the rekey procedure you mentioned. Thanks.

2023-12-21 11:23 XMDS POST ERROR Overijse GetData getData: Failed to get data cache for widgetId 271, e = Cache not ready

I would recommend checking that all of the Tasks in your CMS are running without error or issue.

I am running two different layouts, one for every screen. And loading a dataset. No other tasks scheduled.
Layout: showing fine when viewing the preview in layout section.
Dataset: updating every 2 minutes from a google sheet csv file. The data is showing fine and updating as should when checking in library-dataset-down arrow-view data.

• Are you using a remote dataset, or is this a dataset created and updated manually in your CMS?
    I am using a google sheet with csv upload. It is updates in xibo every 2 minutes. Data is showing fine in library-dataset-down arrow-view data.

• Was this working without issue before, or have you always had this issue with your displays and CMS?
    I have had trouble and bugs since the start (september).
    -First several bugs in the android apk, which xibo resolved.
    -Recently a bug with the dataset, xibo issued a fix with version 4.0.6 which should have resolved the ‘getdata’ errors. But I still encounter the errors shown above after the fix and update.

In short: it has been a very bumpy road with xibo so far…

The collect interval is a display setting, separate from your dataset altogether. By default it is set to 5 minutes. The role of the collect interval is to set how frequently your displays will connect to your CMS. You can check this on the Edit Display window, under the Settings tab.

Can you confirm where you have set the update to two minutes? Is it set in the layout, under the update interval, is that what you are referring to?

If this happens again, please can you go to the display and capture a screenshot of the status logs from the player, while the issue is still occurring? This will hopefully shed some light on why the player has stopped connecting.
If the player is not responding, please can you let me know?
Another good test to do while the issue is occurring is to close the Xibo player and open a web browser on the device. Are you able to log into your CMS from that browser, or do you receive an error?

It’s possible that there may be an element of your layout that is slowly consuming the RAM from your device, which would explain the issue. It would be quite unusual if the player was reporting a memory full error if this was in fact not the case. It could also explain why the players stop connecting after a while and sometimes need to be manually restarted to clear the issue.

The tasks I’m referring to can be seen in the Tasks page of your CMS. These must be running without issue to ensure the CMS and displays function correctly. Could you check that page and make sure none are reporting an issue under the status column?
Most important are the settings for your Fetch Remote Data task, which is responsible for retrieving the remote data from your Google sheets CSV dataset. Could you confirm how frequently that task is set to run for?

I’m glad to hear that the player and CMS issues were patched. If I was to arrange a test on another CMS instance, would you be willing to connect one of your displays to that CMS, so we can import your layout and dataset and see if the performance is the same?

Many Thanks.

Thanks DanBW!

The collect interval is the default 5 minutes. (I was referring before to the amount of minutes to fetch the dataset in ‘tasks’).
I also attached for you:

• my player settings
  • my tasks overview

Player settings:
I see some possibilities here: I don’t have a https connection, so I guess this should be disabled. And should I also enter my public XMR address over here?

Tasks overview
I edited ‘Fetch Remote DataSets’ to 2 minutes.
"Drop Player Cache’ didn’t run properly and is not active.

I will check this as soon as it happens again. The players are at our school at the moment, I will take them home and connect them over here.

That would be great thanks! Could you PM me the url and CMS code?
Thanks for helping me out, I really hope we can find out the cause…

The solution:

For the disconnecting players:
Uncheck all your energy saving settings in general android tv settings menu. Also in the developer mode.

For the “OPENSSL_internal:PKCS_DECODING_ERROR”:
in xibo cms go to : displays- choose your player- choose edit- disable “force https”. This is enabled as standard.

For the “Failed to get data cache for widgetId 271, e = Cache not ready” error:
in your layouts, set your caching update interval of your dataset higher (more than 8)

Many thanks to DanBW for the kind help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.