On a SMART TV that has Android, if it is possible to install the Android Xibo player

Hello, I would like to know if it is possible on a SMART TV that has Android, if it is possible to install the Android Xibo player
or do you need an android device and connect the tv to it via HDMI

Thank you

Hi soluopen_consulting, welcome to the Xibo community!

Many users have successfully installed the Xibo for Android APK onto an Android smart TV. In order to do that, you will need to have a file browser app on your TV, so it can complete the installation.
If you TV does not have a file browser app built in by default, but does have access to the Play store, so it can install new apps, you can install one to complete the next steps:

• Copy the Xibo for Android APK onto a USB stick.
  • Connect the USB to your TV.
  • Open the file browser app and locate the APK. Select it to being the installation.
  • The app should now be installed. Locate the Xibo player tile in your UI and you can continue with the installation steps.

There are a few things I would recommend keeping in mind when using a smart TV to run your Xibo player:

• If asked to set the home option as a launcher or the Xibo player, please choose launcher and set as Always. If you set the Xibo player, you may find you cannot
    exit the player, or access any of the TV’s menus or settings.

• Make sure you test the performance thoroughly. This is very important to do before you deploy the display to a site, as smart TVs are not built with this use case in mind. Common examples you may run into are:

1. Performance issues when running for long periods of time.
  2. An inability to access the Xibo player menus. Connecting a USB keyboard to the TV and clicking i (status log), c (connect to CMS page) or s (settings menu), may function as a workaround, but we cannot ensure this works with all smart TVs.
  3. Insufficient hardware spec to run the events you want to show.
  4. Inability to change the orientation from landscape to portrait.
  5. The TV may not support multiple decoders, which means that some functionality may not work (playing more thank one video at a time, gapless video playback, synchronised content with another display).

All the best with testing Xibo for Android on your smart TV. I hope the player and hardware both meet your requirements.

Many Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.