Non-docker Installation on Ubuntu Server 22.04

I have updated my install guide for version 3.3.3 on Ubuntu Server 22.04 using Apache2 as the web server.

I am always updating my guides and this one can also be found at Install Xibo on Ubuntu | Cipher Menial

Notes

• The MariaDB version installed here are not currently supported by Xibo.
  • The library location is /var/www/Library due to the installer writing the install log file to /var/www/library. The installer requires that the library directory is empty.
  • A local install of QuickChart is not covered in this guide but recommended.
  • Ubuntu 22.04 uses unsupported php8 by default. We will install php7.4 instead.

Install Requirements

First we need to add the php repositories to install version 7.4 of PHP.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php -y
sudo apt update

All of the requirements can be installed using apt.

sudo apt install mariadb-server mariadb-client apache2 libapache2-mod-xsendfile libapache2-mod-php7.4 php7.4-{cli,gd,json,dom,mysql,zip,soap,curl,xml,mbstring,zmq}

Install Xibo CMS

When I am configuring server software outside of a package manager I always place it under the /srv folder. I will be installing Xibo under /srv/xibo-cms.

sudo mkdir /srv/xibo-cms
cd /srv/xibo-cms
sudo wget https://github.com/xibosignage/xibo-cms/releases/download/3.3.3/xibo-cms-3.3.3.tar.gz

This extracts the contents of the archive without placing it into a folder

sudo tar -xvzf xibo-cms-3.3.3.tar.gz --strip-components=1
sudo rm xibo-cms-3.3.3.tar.gz

The apache2 user ‘www-data’ needs to be set as owner of all the extracted items.

sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /srv/xibo-cms

This deletes the existing /var/www directory and creates a symlink to /srv/xibo-cms.

sudo rm -r /var/www
sudo ln -s /srv/xibo-cms /var/www

Configure Apache2

This enables the necessary apache2 modules and creates a site configuration using vim.

sudo a2enmod rewrite
sudo a2enmod ssl
sudo a2enmod session
sudo vim /etc/apache2/sites-available/xibo-cms.conf

xibo-cms.conf

<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot "/var/www/web"
    ServerName xibo.domain.com
    XSendFile on
    XSendFilePath /var/www/Library
    <Directory "/var/www/web">
        AllowOverride All
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
        Require all granted
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>
    DocumentRoot "/var/www/web"
    ServerName xibo.domain.com
    XSendFile on
    XSendFilePath /var/www/Library
    SSLEngine on
    SSLCertificateFile "/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem"
    SSLCertificateKeyFile "/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key"
    <Directory "/var/www/web">
        AllowOverride All
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
        Require all granted
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

This disables the default site and enables the newly created xibo-cms site configuration.

sudo a2dissite 000-default.conf
sudo a2ensite xibo-cms.conf

Configure MariaDB

This configures a root password for MariaDB. Make sure to change MY_NEW_PASSWORD to your password of choice. First enter mysql console by runinng sudo mysql, then run these SQL commands.

ALTER USER 'root'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'MY_NEW_PASSWORD';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
quit

Configure PHP

PHP configuration needs to be modified to allow upload of larger files.

sudo vim /etc/php/7.4/apache2/php.ini

You need to modify the file to change the following settings

max_execution_time = 300
memory_limit = 256M
post_max_size = 2G
upload_max_filesize = 2G
session.cookie_secure = Off
session.cookie_httponly = On
session.cookie_samesite = Lax

You can do this quickly with sed.

sudo sed -i 's/max_execution_time = 30/max_execution_time = 300/g' /etc/php/7.4/apache2/php.ini
sudo sed -i 's/memory_limit = -1/memory_limit = 256M/g' /etc/php/7.4/apache2/php.ini
sudo sed -i 's/post_max_size = 8M/post_max_size = 2G/g' /etc/php/7.4/apache2/php.ini
sudo sed -i 's/upload_max_filesize = 2M/upload_max_filesize = 2G/g' /etc/php/7.4/apache2/php.ini
sudo sed -i 's/;session.cookie_secure =/session.cookie_secure = Off/g' /etc/php/7.4/apache2/php.ini
sudo sed -i 's/session.cookie_httponly =/session.cookie_httponly = On/g' /etc/php/7.4/apache2/php.ini
sudo sed -i 's/session.cookie_samesite =/session.cookie_samesite = Lax/g' /etc/php/7.4/apache2/php.ini

Configure XMR

Create XMR Configuration File

sudo vim /srv/xibo-cms/vendor/xibosignage/xibo-xmr/bin/config.json

Enter the following information and change the pubOn IP address to the public IP of the server. You can view this by running the command “ip address”

{
    "listenOn": "tcp://127.0.0.1:50001",
    "pubOn": ["tcp://192.168.1.1:9505"],
    "debug": false
}

Set www-data as the owner of the file.

sudo chown www-data:www-data /srv/xibo-cms/vendor/xibosignage/xibo-xmr/bin/config.json

Create XMR service

sudo vim /etc/systemd/system/xibo-xmr.service

Enter the following.

[Unit]
Description=Xibo XMR
After=network.target

[Service]
User=www-data
Group=www-data
ExecStart=/usr/bin/php /srv/xibo-cms/vendor/bin/xmr.phar
Restart=always
KillMode=process
RestartSec=1

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Start the service

sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl enable xibo-xmr.service
sudo systemctl start xibo-xmr.service

Check the status of the xibo-xmr service to confirm it is working.

sudo systemctl status xibo-xmr.service

Configure XTR

sudo crontab -u www-data -e

Select the editor you prefer and then enter the following line.

* * * * * /usr/bin/php /var/www/bin/xtr.php

Configure Firewall

sudo ufw allow ssh
sudo ufw allow http
sudo ufw allow https
sudo ufw allow 9505/tcp
sudo ufw enable

Complete the Installation

sudo systemctl restart apache2

You can now browse to the server at the location you configured in the xibo-cms.conf

7 Likes

Thank you very much for this tutorial: clear, complete and very useful! Functional!

1 Like

Quick note to let you know that there was an issue with the XMR service. I have updated the guide on my site with the fix.

Absolutely fantastic tutorial. Rarely have I found something so comprehensive and error-free in my 28 years on the internet. Compliment and heartfelt thanks.

1 Like

No worries. I have updated it for 4.0.1.

2 Likes

Hello, today I wanted to do an updated installation, xmr does not start on the service side. I proceeded step by step according to the installation document. Could there be a change in the installation steps? I could not start the XMR service?

I installed the setup on ubuntu 22.04

ExexStart command is written differently above, I tried with php8.2 but it didn’t start again, do you have any suggestions?

ExecStart=/usr/bin/php /srv/xibo-cms/vendor/bin/xmr.phar - not working
ExecStart=/usr/bin/php8.2 /srv/xibo-cms/vendor/bin/xmr.phar - not working

I was guided by the current document on your web page.

root@xibo:/etc/apache2/sites-available# sudo /usr/bin/php8.2 /srv/xibo-cms/vendor/bin/xmr.phar
[2023-11-12 08:52:44] xmr.ERROR: Failed to bind the ZMQ: Cannot assign requested address [] []
[2023-11-12 08:52:44] xmr.ERROR: #0 [internal function]: ZMQSocket->bind() #1 phar:///srv/xibo-cms/vendor/xibosignage/xibo-xmr/bin/xmr.phar/vendor/react/zmq/src/SocketWrapper.php(171): call_user_func_array() #2 phar:///srv/xibo-cms/vendor/xibosignage/xibo-xmr/bin/xmr.phar/index.php(98): React\ZMQ\SocketWrapper->__call() #3 /srv/xibo-cms/vendor/xibosignage/xibo-xmr/bin/xmr.phar(14): require('...') #4 /srv/xibo-cms/vendor/bin/xmr.phar(119): include('...') #5 {main} [] []

SOLUTION

{
  “listenOn”: “tcp://127.0.0.1:50001”,
  “pubOn”: [“tcp://*:9505”],
  “debug”: false
}

I replaced the ip address written in this section with *. And I started again and it is now actively working. Is there something wrong?

I will do some testing and update my guide.

1 Like

I have no updated the guide for Ubuntu Server 24.04 and Xibo CMS 4.0.8. Ubuntu 24.04 still isn’t out for over a month, but I thought I would test it out and it all works perfecty. If you are installing on an older version, you will need to add the php repositories still.

add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php -y prior to installing php.