Many Ubuntu xibo-players suddenly fails

Hi, this is the first time with the issue with the Xibo.
CMS: 2.3.5, client xibo-player on Ubuntu 18.04

Suddenly 6 xibo-players stopped to work just with the following:

Player exited with code 11

I’ve tried to reinstall Ubuntu (both 18.04, 20:xx), reinstall the player but no luck.
Maybe it came some update to Ubuntu which resulted in this error.

Help…

Welcome to the community.

To better understand what has happened we need further information such as the version of Player you are using, what content type is on your Layouts, are all your Players showing the same content?
Are there any errors in the logs section of your CMS for each of your Players?

Did you update Ubuntu after the reinstall with sudo apt-get update ?

Hi, thanks for willing to help, Natasha.
I’ve tried to different versions of channels, from beta, over stable to edge.
Yes, all players shows same content, some working and some of them not.
CMS: 2.35
Nothing in log, players got authiorized but after start - same results…
Tried even with the version 16 of Ubuntu but no luck.
After player starts there is some short traffic between CMS and player (i catch it with the wireshark).

//Svetislav

Hi again,
i don’t know how but it turns out that all of those players failed because one invalid slide which was schedulled on them.
After i correct that slide all of them started to work normally.
We can close this case.
Thanks!

If you’re happy to provide an export of that slide (Layout) then we can investigate why that causes such a serious crash and try to handle that more gracefully.

Hi, i can do that offcourse but now that slide have Valid status. All i did is i opened that slide in editor (Checkout) and just Publish again because it seems OK for me…then it got Valid status. In addition i had to empty XIBO-LIBRARY folder on clients in order to xibo-player starts again.
Now, another issue now with CMS but i can try to fix it:
when i tried to run export of that slide or any other i got just blank screen with this URL in address bar:

http://10.237.180.37/layout/export/815?includeData=on

//Svetislav

Understood - we will have to wait and see if the problem happens again. If it does, then you could start the xibo-player from the console and see if there are any crash errors reported.

Hello Dan,

I have had the same problem yesterday, And I think I have some answers for you.
Here’s some preface about my case, might be very important for the support team:

• I have built my system in late February 2020.
  • Because of COVID, It did not work since, the machine was off.
  • When I finally came to take it to production, it worked perfectly the first hour.
  • After few hours and restart, it started failing with code 11
  • I have been fighting with it in the last 24 hours.
  • I spent hours, literally, looking through Xibo community for an answer, found absolutely nothing about “code 11” and even opened a case in the community, surely you can find it……
  • I found that “error 11” in Linux actually mean - “Resources temporarily unavailable” which
    brought to conclusion that the problem is with one of the widgets in the layout (my case is a single layout with many widgets)
  • I was obviously suspecting the “online” type widgets (API’s and Web Services I have built for the layout) or any other interactive widget with DataSets.
  • I have updated the player to the newest stable channel (snap)
  • Last night, desperately, I have started building the layout from scratch, not an easy task at all…
  • While building the complicated layout, region by region and widget by widget, I found the one that was causing the “error 11”
  • In my case it was a 4 seconds video file, attached to a video widget.
  • In the new built template, deleting the video/region helped solving the problem and getting it back on.
  • This morning after reading this post (that I couldn’t find in Google yesterday) I have reverted to the old, malfunctioned layout, and deleted the same video widget and…. Surprise! Its back to life.
  • I can probably simulate it for you, to help understand what it is, please let me know if needed.
    Guy

Thanks Guy - that likely points to a memory leak of some kind with the video player. The 4 second video would have (over time) used resources and not released them.

We’ve had all sorts of problems recently with video, so I am going to suggest that we hold off testing this further until we have a new release available.

Once that is out, we can pop your 4 second video back into the loop and see if the problem reoccurs.

Thanks,
Dan

Thank you for your response.

I have managed to simulate the Code 11 error by creating a completely clean layout with only one region, containing my video, while it was working fine in the CMS and in the preview…

If it was a matter of resources, A simple restart to the computer would have solved it,
Maybe even a player restart,
wouldn’t it ?

I don’t know , I have decided to leave the video aside and using other object instead, I’ll be following the player updates and test it again.

Guy

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.