Linux Player 1.8R4 - Reporting all layouts as Invalid Layouts

Hi all,

We have several Ubuntu 18 iMac’s running Linux Player 1.8R4 with various valid layouts. They were working fine for days but suddenly all Linux players report that all assigned layouts are invalid. I did not change anything.

I tried setting the Default Layout only and they even report that layout as invalid.

Pretty strange, layouts are all playing fine on our windows players.

Anyone else run in to this?

i tried removing the display from the CMS and uninstalling the xibo-player client
reinstalled, authorized, set the display setting profile and manually set the player width and height

after doing all that and trying to start the player i am greeted with the PixBuffError and can no longer get the player to start…

managed to resolve the PixBuff error by the following process

sudo snap remove xibo-player

delete ~/snap/xibo-player directory

run ubuntu updates

reboot

sudo snap install xibo-player

after reinstall the client starts but still reports that any layout i assign it is invalid. the layouts used to work though and are still working on our windows players

lmk if i can provide any more information

edit: collected this new error from the terminal while the player was running - not sure if it is related

[09:26:40.949] [4201] [error]: [XMR] RSA/EME-PKCS1-v1_5: invalid ciphertext
[09:27:21.864] [4201] [error]: [XMR] RSA/EME-PKCS1-v1_5: invalid ciphertext

another message
** Message: 12:52:03.011: console message: http://127.0.0.1:9696/xibo-layout-scaler.js @20: ReferenceError: Can’t find variable: jQuery
** Message: 12:52:03.035: console message: http://127.0.0.1:9696/2.html @42: ReferenceError: Can’t find variable: $

update, tried creating a few new layouts with either a Text or Image region. When assigned to my linux players those layouts are also ‘invalid’ on the clients… they play fine on windows clients though

Thanks for sticking with it - can you try the edge build and see if this still happens?

Those messages imply that there are either some files missing, or that there is some issue with the embedded web server not starting correctly.

Running edge now but the invalid layouts issue persists…

Are you still receiving the same messages?
Would it be possible to start xibo from a terminal window and give us a dump of all the console logging?

Sure, i started it from terminal and let it run about 30 minutes and the messages below were printed

user@cdm-imac-04:~$ xibo-player
[09:27:03.888] [11927] [error]: [XMR::Crypto] RSA/EME-PKCS1-v1_5: invalid ciphertext. You need to reconfigure XMR for this display in the CMS and wait for the next collection interval so all keys will be updated.
[09:27:08.862] [11927] [error]: [XMR::Crypto] RSA/EME-PKCS1-v1_5: invalid ciphertext. You need to reconfigure XMR for this display in the CMS and wait for the next collection interval so all keys will be updated.

i have just reconfigured xmr via the display’s settings window… waiting to see any updates

i waited a bit and restarted the xibo player client and here are some more console messages after that

[09:57:00.260] [12634] [error]: [XMR::Crypto] RSA/EME-PKCS1-v1_5: invalid ciphertext. You need to reconfigure XMR for this display in the CMS and wait for the next collection interval so all keys will be updated.
[09:57:05.260] [12634] [error]: [XMR::Crypto] RSA/EME-PKCS1-v1_5: invalid ciphertext. You need to reconfigure XMR for this display in the CMS and wait for the next collection interval so all keys will be updated.
[10:00:05.403] [12634] [error]: [XMR::Crypto] InvertibleRSAFunction: computational error during private key operation. You need to reconfigure XMR for this display in the CMS and wait for the next collection interval so all keys will be updated.
[10:00:05.405] [12634] [error]: [XMR::Crypto] RSA/EME-PKCS1-v1_5: invalid ciphertext. You need to reconfigure XMR for this display in the CMS and wait for the next collection interval so all keys will be updated.

couple more errors. Now running xibo-player --channel=candidate with CMS 2.2.1

[13:15:04.393] [13917] [error]: [XMR::Crypto] RSA/EME-PKCS1-v1_5: invalid ciphertext. You need to reconfigure XMR for this display in the CMS and wait for the next collection interval so all keys will be updated.
[13:15:09.398] [13917] [error]: [XMR::Crypto] InvertibleRSAFunction: computational error during private key operation. You need to reconfigure XMR for this display in the CMS and wait for the next collection interval so all keys will be updated.

Interesting, so these are both of these issues rolled into one:

I’ll pass them back to the developer to see if we can get to the bottom of it

1 Like

OK, so we haven’t been able to recreate yet and we’re wondering if there might be something corrupted in your config folder.

Can you have a look in /home/<you>/snap/xibo-player/common for:

• id_rsa
  • id_rsa.pub

Delete those two files, open the CMS and tick reconfigure XMR on the Display, and restart the player?

If that doesn’t help, you might have some other folders lurking in /home/<you>/snap/xibo-player/, one per version that you’ve had installed. Could you do the same for those folders?

Edit: please also run with --channel=edge

Hi Dan,

I deleted the two files and set reconfigure xmr and restarted the player. the files were re-created but it still just sits on the default splash screen…

so after that i did snap remove xibo-player and snap install xibo-player --channel=edge but it still sits on the splash screen… collected logs below:
[08:47:55.881] [3328] [debug]: [DBus] ScreenSaver is suspended: 5585570
[08:47:58.192] [3339] [debug]: [CollectionInterval] Started
[08:47:58.288] [3339] [debug]: [XMDS::RegisterDisplay] Success
[08:47:58.321] [3328] [debug]: [CollectionInterval] Interval updated to 300 seconds
[08:48:15.433] [3343] [error]: [XMR::Crypto] RSA/EME-PKCS1-v1_5: invalid ciphertext. You need to reconfigure XMR for this display in the CMS and wait for the next collection interval so all keys will be updated.

appreciate the help!

We think we know what this is now and i’ve updated the :bug: report with more details. We will work on a fix.

Unfortunately I do not think this explains why all of your Layouts are invalid. The message is a bit of a red herring.

Can you try to verify all module files in the CMS? This is on the Modules page, and then a button top right.

modules verified! i’ll keep trying different layouts. They layouts i use have always worked great on Windows and Android players so i agree it’s probably not the root cause…

Just wanted to bump this thread after trying R5 … still seeing invalid layouts and my linux test display
let me know if anyone has any ideas or if i can provide any more info!

If you can give us a ZIP of your /home/user/snap/xibo-player/common/resources folder, I can extract it here and see if I can recreate the problem?

If that works for you, please PM me a link to it

sure, here it is! https://send.thecdm.ca/pickup.php?claimID=VrDmTocSNUhkBC6C&claimPasscode=YmhjEXHPXTHKho9Z

I’m so sorry, I got wiped out by something else and now the link has expired.
If you’re happy to PM me a new one, I get notified of that and won’t miss it.