Issue with displaying simple text in a region

Hello everyone,

I originally posted a description of my project in this thread : Project of restaurant menu display on 4 screens - #3 by natasha . Time passed and i didn’t had the time to invest more in this project, but now with Covid-19 pandemic situation and inflation, we need to increase a bit our price if we want to survive. By the way, thanks Natasha for the inputs from this thread and sorry that i didn’t get back to you earlier.
Today, restarting my project, i updated my docker version of CMS to 3.0.5, and started to work again on my templates.
I setup some datapoints, and so far so good everything was working well.
Then i wanted to update some simple text regions, and when i saved, the content disappeared. It is still present when i edit the field, but when i save, nothing is shown. I checked the color of fonts, background color, Z-position, i don’t find a good reason why this is happening. And before i modified the text field, everything was displayed without a problem.
Is there anything that i am doing wrong here ? The contents from the dataset are displayed correctly as you can see in the screenshots
Thanks for the help.

CMS Version

Specify the full CMS version you are using, including the revision number.
Docker version 3.0.5

Player Type

Include the Player type you are using.
none yet

Player Version

Include the full version, including the revision number.
none yet

Additional information, if i discard all my changes and go back to the previously saved change with earlier version of Xibo (probably a 2.x), i see the text from the title “Family Burger” and as soon as i checkout the layout to edit it, the text doesn’t show up anymore. It is there, if i try to edit the widget, the text is in the text box, but not displayed in the preview or the design editor.

One last information, even the default layout that i left in the system doesn’t show any content … I am a bit lost, should i just reset the whole configuration, i don’t really mind, i don’t have anything special yet, but i don’t know how to proceed i didn’t find any relevant information how to perform a factory reset of a docker installation, especially around the database.

Last piece of information, i tried to make a new layout, didn’t work either, and i tried other widgets, such as a video file, or a PDF one, no success either, i always get an empty widget instead, i really don’t know what is happening here while i remember in my test last year those things were just working fine.

I would try going to the Modules page, and clicking “Verify All”.

Once done, clear your browser cache and try then.

Hi Alex, it worked, just awesome, thank you very much, may i ask what is doing this “Verify All” function exactly ?

It’s checking that all Module files are of the correct version and are installed properly.

It should be run automatically once each day, so it suggests that your Daily Maintenance task isn’t being run or is in an error state. Please check that your tasks are running properly.

The maintenance setting was in “Protected” state, i never touched that setting before, just placed in “on”, i guess that should solve the issue right ?

Protected is the correct setting.

You need to go to the Tasks page in the CMS and ensure that all your tasks that are enabled are running as expected. Look at the last run dates on them, and check none have a “bug” symbol next to them indicating they’re not running properly.

None of them have a last run indication, none of them seem to have the “bug” symbol, but a clock instead, all required are active, i am trying to run one manually at the moment but doesn’t seems to do much at the moment.

You’re sure you’re running with Docker? Because the Docker setup will be running those for you automatically. Check that you haven’t accidentally set the XTR_ENABLED environment variable to something other than true in your docker-compose files or in config.env

If you’ve done a custom install, then you need to manually setup XTR to run them on a schedule.

Yes, sure i am running cms in a docker environment, here is the configuration of it. However, i don’t know what is XTR variable meant for ?

You’re not using our supported docker-compose files, so I’m not sure exactly how you have things setup, but basically if XTR_ENABLED is not set to true then XTR (Xibo Task Runner) won’t run.

The other reason it might not run properly is if you’ve set the MySQL password for the cms user to a different value, or a value that uses non alpha-numeric values. Did you use the suggested password generator to generate something that won’t cause issues when passed as an environment variable?

XTR_enabled is definitely set to true, i managed the docker deployment by myself, but it doesn’t look to be that differently deployed than the original docker-compose from your github repository besides my customization.
For the MySQL password, i confirm you that it does contain special characters, this is for sure. I didn’t used the suggestion, as this MySQL instance was already existing in my docker environment.

I don’t know what you customised.

When the cms-web container starts up, it builds a crontab for the apache user, and then runs crond.

Something is either preventing that happening, or preventing cron from running. You’d need to look in to that on your install and work out why.

A good first step would be to get a shell in the container as the apache user, and try running /var/www/maintenance.sh manually. Do not run it as any other user as you will cause problems doing so.

It is the password that prevent the script to run

Is it in the manual the suggested password generation ?

We suggest you use:

https://www.random.org/passwords/?num=1&len=16&format=plain&rnd=new

It’s documented in the install guide and in the config.env file where you’d set that normally.

You need to change the password in your MySQL instance, and then recreate your cms-web container with an updated environment variable.

Annoying but doable, it is just that i have to update some other dockers, thanks for the help, very appreciated :slight_smile: Will let you know once password is updated if all scripts runs normally

Xibo shouldn’t be sharing a user/password with anything else, or ideally even sharing a MySQL instance. If it’s sharing a username I’d strongly suggest you split that out at this point.

I notice too that you’re not using memcached which is the default from v3.0.0 onward. I’d suggest running a memcached instance, named as you find it in the docker-compose.yml file, and setting the environment variables on the cms-web container accordingly so that it is used. We don’t support file-based cache anymore.