Is currently unable to handle this request. HTTP ERROR 500

Hi,

Xibo and my CMS were working fine up until a few days ago. Now i cant log into the CMS on my web server, i get the error “is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500”.

Can you please advise?

Regards,

Dave

What web server are you using?

What CMS version are you using?

Did you try to restart your web server?

Probably best to go through the web server logs, there might be something more detailed in there, soap issue perhaps?

My site is hosted on Blacknight, everything else is working fine except Xibo.
CMS is 1.7.8

I cant seem to find any errors in the logs but not sure where to look for Xibo faults…

Regards,
Dave

You might need to contact your hosting provider then, since it looks as a web server issue.

I think we already had this conversation via support tickets, but again shared platform isn’t quite what we recommend for Xibo. If I remember correctly last time there was filesystem permission issue, which they changed without your knowledge.

That being said, I tried to log in to your CMS Instance with the credentials you gave us in support ticket and it seems to work fine for me.
At least some of your displays are also logged in, Although this CMS seems to be 1.7.3, so perhaps you’re trying access different CMS Instance.

Thanks Peter, I will get onto Blacknight.
I think you may have me confused with another user, this is my first topic.

Dave

hm perhaps, sorry for that, well anyway, we had a customer using blacknight with filesystem permission problems, perhaps it’s similar story here. Although there should be something more in logs than 500 error, which itself is not telling what exactly is wrong.

Since it was working before, then I don’t think the problem is with your CMS itself, but rather with the web server, that’s why I suggested contacting blacknight about it - perhaps they changed something without your knowledge, similar like they did in the case I mentioned.

Neil du Plessis (Blacknight - Customer Service / Technical Support Centre)
Oct 24, 19:02 IST
Hi Dave
Thank you for your email.
I am afraid we would not be familiar with this application, and it is also not clear how it could be a server issue.
Did Xibo provide any information as to how it could be a server issue? For example any error logs etc?
The main site loads, www.buttevantcolaiste.ie which would not if there was server issues.
Any more info from them would be appreciated, we will be happy to investigate further.
Kind regards,
Neil Du Plessis
Support Department
Have you seen our new Site Backup solution for websites?
Check out https://www.blacknight.com/sitebackup/ for more details
Blacknight Site Backup - Scheduled & On Demand Website Backups

IRL: 1850 929 929 / 059 9183072
US: 213-233-1612
UK: 0844 4849361
Intl. +353 59 9183072
Fax. +353 (0) 1 4811763

When you log in to Blacknight, from what I remember you should have access to some logs there, perhaps check if there is anything else there.

Hi Peter,
I have gone into the logs but to be honest i have no idea what I’m looking for.
All 4 digital displays in the school haven’t been working in over a month.
Blacknight have been no help in the issue.
Can offer any suggestions.
I dont want to have to travel to the and redo the whole installation and set up displays again.

Kind Regards,

Dave

Well it could be hard to get cms logs if you can’t access the CMS at all.

Since it’s giving you the 500 error (which is not precise by any means) there should be something more in blacknight server logs.

If i’d have to guess it will be something with filesystem permissions

If you’d want us to have a look at it, it could be done on a paid basis, please create a support ticket with us and we will talk details.

As we mentioned before, shared hostings are not perfect for Xibo, it could be good to look for an alternative, like perhaps our cloud hosting. It could save you a lot of headache in the future.

The error is too generic and does not tell you exact problem. What you need is to find out what is the real issue. If your site is serving a Internal Server Error, this can be caused by a number of things, such as:

• Errors in .htaccess files
  • Server permission
  • Server timeout
  • Script timeout
  • Or some other Web Server Issues

Normally, a permissions issue on the file (or files) would be one cause of the 500 Internal Server Error. The simple solution is to run chmod 644 on the problem file(s) or chmod 755 on the directories.

$ sudo chmod -R 777 /"your files location"

The best way to debug the error depends upon the server and what’s actually running at the time. Consider some debugging tips to help diagnose and fix common causes of this problem.