Installation guide confusion

can we make a simple installation guide…a more straightforward guide based on EVERY POSSIBLE OPTION to get xibo working on docker?

I am playing around with installing different versions of xibo to replicate common errors or mistakes and i find the available instructions BROKEN and NOT IN ORDER

there is a choice where you can install and run xibo containers using an EXTERNAL MYSQL. This option has little explanation. the instruction jumps back to installing xibo with internal MYSQL so this way, anyone can be thrown out the steps and then get an error in the end

it says to use config.env.template-remote-mysql. …

" The default docker-compose.yml file includes a container for MySQL, however, it is possible to run with an external/remote MySQL instance as the database for Xibo."

“To do this base the config.env file on the template config.evn.template-remote-mysql and replace any docker-compose up -d commands in the below instructions with docker-compose -f cms_remote-mysql.yml up -d .”

it is not clear if one still needs to use dock-compose up -d which will surely elevate xibo containers using the docker-compose.yml that contains MYSQL image too.

I have ubuntu 18.04 with nginx, php5.6-fpm (and all required php modules), mariadb and phpmyadmin all configured fine. these were required in the 1.7 CMS series and still required for manual xibo install without docker. but these installation steps doesnt follow itself well.

I dont want to INSTALL ANOTHER MYSQL or MARIADB if i can use an existing one on the same server. same applies to PHP and NGINX.

if you can separate the installation steps according to options. A with default ports from start to finish, B with custom ports from start to finish and C using remote MYSQL from start to finish. This will eliminate a lot of issues

It looks like the available installation guide starts with defaults but jumps in with using custom ports, and remote-mysql, then it continues to finish point. it will be easier to finish setup with defaults everything, launch xibo, login…then shut down docker-compose, go back to edit and change whatever you want to change. at this point, you have clear understanding. same should apply to using a REMOTE MYSQL (EXTERNAL DATABASE) and if we still need to run the added mysql image in the docker-compose.yml along with remote database, it will be clearly stated along with which commands or combination command needs to be used to get the containers up and running

adding an ssl for HTTPS steps should also be out of the way with a separate steps to add after xibo is setup right and working to curb confusion.

you have LEMP server with NGINX, you follow this xibo installation steps and then end up with apache server, because the steps jumps between the 2 environments.

my production xibo on docker is working great under CMS 1.8.13. seeing a lot of installation failures, i decided to play around…trying to install CMS 2.3.1. I want to use an existing MARIADB and PHP

i got this error: Fatal Error - sorry this shouldn’t happen. SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name does not resolve

when using remote mysql yml file, should i run docker-compose -f cms_remote-mysql.yml up -d and then after it is completed, run docker-compose up -d?

i dont want to run away from this task…let us solve this to help others to make installation simple…

1, 2, 3…go!!

Thank you for providing your thoughts on the installation guide, however, we are unable to give a set of instructions based on every possible permutation.

When we say “replace” we mean you should replace the existing not add in “addition” to.
Using your own PHP is also not an option, you can use remote MySQL server but only if configured correctly.

You need to think of the CMS container as a collection of services, bundled together and pre-configured to work together for you.it cannot connect to a ‘localhost’ on the host machine. It requires an IP address or host name to connect to and in addition, the server needs to be listening on that network interface, which by default it won’t be.

Using a separate MySQL server for Xibo is far more secure as it is kept completely away from the network as well as simpler to set up and manage.

Thank you

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.