I can't get my player to changeLayout on demand using API

CMS Version: 2.1.0, docker, on Linux Mint
Player Version: 1.8-R4, code version 37, Player for Linux running on local host

I appear to have communications set up properly between the cms, xmr, and the player. I base this on the fact that I am displaying my default layout, the last heartbeat timestamp on the player updates every 30 seconds, and when I invoke the changeLayout API via postman the player’s last message timestamp is updated.

If I enter an invalid layoutId in postman I receive an error with code of 404 and message of “Layout not found.” If I enter an invalid displayGroupId I receive a 404 with message of “Not Found.” When I invoke the changeLayout API with my desired layoutID I receive a 204 in return, but the player doesn’t change layouts.

As far as the changeMode parameter goes I have tried ‘replace’, ‘queue’, and ‘action’. The swagger.json’s description of the changeMode is “Whether to queue or replace with this action”. This is where I got ‘replace’ and ‘queue’ from. I found a blog post at https://mysignage.rocks/xibo-and-emergency-messaging/ which indicates the changeMode should be ‘action’. None of these work. What are the proper options for changeMode? (I suppose I’ll be digging into the source code next)

I have changed the “server mode” to test on the cms’s settings page and set the logging level to DEBUG. When I look at the log I see much activity, culminating in an entry which states “Player Action Service is looking to send 1 actions.” I never see an entry indicating that the action is sent. If I check the information on the player, however, the last message timestamp is updated.

I have changed the logLevel in the playerSettings.xml file to debug. This did increase the logging in the terminal associated with the player, but, alas, provided no clues to help me discover where I’ve gone wrong. (The player always re-writes this file returning the logLevel to ‘error’.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Terrence

Hi TSulllivan. The Xibo for Linux Player does not yet support API actions, this is currently in development for a future release. When the next revision of the Player is released, it will be announced on the Xibo Blog, I would recommend keeping an eye out for new releases:

Many Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.