Dataset with date includes 00:00:00 time, which prevents a CURDATE() lookup

I am trying to get my XIbo displays to show student birthdays (I’m in a school) using the filter “DOB equals CURDATE()” (DOB is the field with the date).
It is not working. I have a ‘test’ birthdate (fictional person) set up with today’s date in the ‘DOB’ field. DOB field is specified for ‘date’ format. In looking at the dataset, it has the correct dates but has added the time “00:00:00” to the date. I think that this is the reason the birthdays are not showing up.
I do not seem to be able to remove the time from the date entry.
What is the way around this?
{I am not a computer person…when responding, please assume I know very little. I will take no offence}

Something like that should work Using DataSets to display Birthday

DOB = CURDATE() should work as well I believe (assuming DOB is the name of the column with date).

If it still does not work, then I’d need to see the dataSet and layout with it - you could export it with dataSet and send it over to me via private message.

Strange, it does not seem to work. My suspicion is that it has to do with the ‘time’ field being attached to the date. Please advise as to how to get the exported layout to you by PM.

I’ve sent you a private message with details.

I think I’d suggest enabling the Use advanced filter clause and then adding it like
DAY(DOB) = DAY(CURDATE()) AND MONTH(DOB) = MONTH(CURDATE())

Since you don’t really want it to take year into consideration in that filter.

and with just DOB = CURDATE() you would need to have 2018 in your dataSet and then you’d need to change it in 2019 etc, so that’s not efficient.

You might also want to use Ticker with dataSet as source instead of DataSet view to style and format it easier -Ticker has our usual text editor, while with dataSet view you’d need to format it via CSS, which is fine, but might be easier with Ticker.

1 Like

Thanks Peter. This works. I’m smacking my forehead…I had overlooked the fact that a date includes birth year, which of course is never going to recur, and hence will never come up as ‘today’. Your SQL clause is very helpful and works just fine. Appreciate your quick response.

1 Like