CMS Video Encode on Upload

As noted by others in many, many tickets, sometimes various players will just decide they don’t want to work with particular video files. Currently the easiest fix is to simply download the client’s video from the CMS, re-encode it, and upload again.

Could it be set up that the CMS re-encodes video files to recommended specs on upload server-side. This setting could be optional so not everyone needs to have beefy video-encoding servers, but for those of us who do it would solve so many issues with needing to adjust videos etc.

I like this idea for the sake of compressing and standardizing the video files as part of the Daily Maintenance Task, but there is no way that this would be able to run on the fly without a dedicated media processing server, unless the video file was very short. It would be extremely CPU intensive, take a long time to complete, and what would happen during that limbo period when the user uploads the file and then has to wait to actually use it in a layout?

I’m not sure if it’s well known or even documented, but from my experience, anyway, AVC-encoded video playback issues typically occur on Android 6 players when they are running a newer client software version that enforces the ExoPlayer as the default (R304+). You either need to be on a CMS version that lets you override this and default back to Android Media Player, or roll back the client software to something stable, like R206.