CMS error - socket failed: EMFILE

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what this means and how to fix it please?

We’re using our own server, running with Docker and Android displays.

130 2017-06-13 00:23 socket failed: EMFILE (Too many open files)
129 2017-06-13 00:21 socket failed: EMFILE (Too many open files)
128 2017-06-13 00:19 Unable to prepare next layout and unable to show splash screen. Unable to create layout
127 2017-06-13 00:19 /data/data/com.signage.gkzvnrqsxx/files/0.xlf: open failed: EMFILE (Too many open files)
126 2017-06-13 00:18 Unable to prepare next layout and unable to show splash screen. Unable to create layout
125 2017-06-13 00:18 /data/data/com.signage.gkzvnrqsxx/files/0.xlf: open failed: EMFILE (Too many open files)
124 2017-06-13 00:18 /storage/external_storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.signage.gkzvnrqsxx/files/1.xlf: open failed: EMFILE (Too many open files)
123 2017-06-13 00:18 Cannot set the next Layout from the Schedule. Empty Schedule
122 2017-06-13 00:18 Unable to start default or splash: null
121 2017-06-13 00:18 /data/data/com.signage.gkzvnrqsxx/files/0.xlf: open failed: EMFILE (Too many open files)
120 2017-06-13 00:18 Unable to prepare next layout and unable to show splash screen. Unable to create layout
119 2017-06-13 00:18 /storage/external_storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.signage.gkzvnrqsxx/files/1.xlf: open failed: EMFILE (Too many open files)
118 2017-06-13 00:18 /data/data/com.signage.gkzvnrqsxx/files/0.xlf: open failed: EMFILE (Too many open files)

Is there more than once Xibo for Android instance installed on this device? (perhaps standard release and white label one?)

Do you have the storage set in Xibo for Android client - from what I remember you will want it set to your sd card - I’m asking because those errors seem to show both path to internal and external storage.

Hi Peter,

No there’s just the one - our white label 1.8 V102.

I have just erased all the data on the SD card so it triggers it to resend all the data from scratch. We did have problems with our XMR yesterday too, could that be related?

The correct storage is definitely selected.

The error message would indicate that there are too many open files on the device, which is preventing the player application from opening anything else (creating any file handles).

Have you rebooted the device since having your XMR issue - I wonder if that issue has consumed all available file handles

Hi Dan,

I don’t remember if we restarted it after possibly fixing the XMR problem, however it’s been restarted now that I’ve wiped the SD card and started again.

At the moment it shows that 23 files have downloaded and 9 files are remaining.

The speed of it’s internet connection is a bit slow - if I plug it into the network, which is a faster speed, I have to change the CMS address to the local IP but I’m not sure what would happen then once I switch it back to a different network? I imagine it will try and re-download everything?

It shouldn’t re-download everything - it will compare the library it has stored locally, with the information it gets from the new CMS url, and would only redownload where things didn’t match

Hi Dan,

I tried a number of things and they did’n’t work.

What I’ve done now is install the standard Xibo 103 pre release onto it. It downloaded the default layout and one smaller content layout.

I have now updated the layout to contain all 8 videos not just one and have had the following error:

164 2017-06-14 10:29 11 Memory Notifications. Current level=15 at Total:384. Used: 8. Device Total: 8. Device Free: 0
163 2017-06-14 08:45 XMR unresponsive, issue reconfigure.

With regards to the memory notifications - what does this mean? We have a 16GB SD card in the device which was empty before we downloaded the content. The storage is set correctly on the device I have checked.

In terms of the XMR issue - what does this mean? I don’t understand what needs reconfiguring and how?

Also not sure why these files are showing double the size in the end column?

It’s memory related not storage related, please see Memory Notifications

Please navigate to Displays page → Edit display → Advanced tab → Reconfigure XMR & Save (you might want to restart Xibo on your device after making this change) - assuming that XMR is correctly configured, it should be fine after this action.

It could imply that it did download the file twice, or rather that the first download failed for some reason (perhaps was incomplete) and then it did download it again - assuming that it is downloaded correctly now, if you’d clear the display cache (just edit&save) next time it connects to the CMS (collection interval) it should change the status of that file to checkmark.

We’re still getting the following errors:

I had previously issued a rekey and turned the player off but it still has the same error as well as these.

Those errors are “normal” if you’ve got a device with intermittent connection to the CMS - this appears to be the case “Failed to connect to xxxxx”.

Under those circumstances it is expected that XMR would be unresponsive and reconfigure itself, it is also expected that calls to XMDS would fail.

That player must have re-established connection, because you’re viewing logs in the CMS, which means it has been able to dispatch those.

There is an awful lot of background to this issue, where we tried to help you guys before on a commercial basis. We couldn’t get files to download reliably on your devices, despite trying multiple things - however, exactly the same content worked well on 3 of 4 test devices we have here.

From your screenshot, it looks to me like you have the same problem again, using whichever CMS you are using now. I.e. files that are downloading constantly, because for some reason they are never received/saved on the device.

If you have an interest in continuing our previous discussion, please do feel free to re-open the ticket on our help desk.