Cloud Hosting and Module Development

This is a two part question:

1. Do we have FTP access if we pay for cloud hosting OR only access to the CMS interface?

2. We want to work with custom modules, can we do this with a Cloud Hosting account? We are interested in creating direct input options for our clients rather than providing clients with a WYSIWYG box, hence the custom modules.

Rather than having to focus on the hosting and maintenance, we like the option and price point Spring Signage offers to host the CMS which free up our time to focus more on business needs and hopefully developing modules.

We’ve wrote to Spring Signage earlier this week via their contact form, no reply yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the delay with our reply - your message ended up trapped in our spam filters, hence the lack of reply. I’ve marked it for immediate attention.

You only have access to the CMS interface - our Cloud uses distributed storage which means, for all intents and purposes, there isn’t anything to FTP to.

At the moment, no… in the future, most likely. We only run our own verified and audited code on the platform to protect the security of the entire system as a whole. This may change in the future as we move closer to a Docker only environment, but we can’t promise anything at present.

We might be able to come to some agreement with you whereby we audit your custom modules - we can discuss that privately in the email thread you now have with Spring Signage.

Each CMS does come with full access to the API in 1.8, which might well be capable of doing what you want to do.

Whether the API is sufficient or not depends on what you mean by direct input.

Thanks Dan for your reply. After reading your response we have installed the CMS. Hopefully, the maintenance will be simple and require very little time. Looking forward to working with the software!

I’d recommend 1.8 for writing custom modules - it is far superior and will very shortly be our stable release. Docker also makes maintenance and upgrades far easier.

Thanks,
Dan

If you are still looking for a third party hosting, feel free to contact me.