Client Not Updating

I have various Xibo clients all on 1.7.2 running Windows 8.1. After updating the software from 1.7.1 to 1.7.2 I noticed that my RSS feeds stopped updating. After trying steps to get them to update I ended up assigning the players the default layout from Xibo rebooting the players and then reassigning them my current layout with successful results.

How can I ensure my current layouts will update?

Check the info screen. I expect you’ve created a Display Profile in the CMS which is preventing the Player from connecting to the CMS except for a very small window over midnight. If you fill either apply the patch mentioned above or set a wider window you will be OK

I have no Display Profile set. The only thing that is set with a schedule are my Campaigns which I have starting in 2015 00:00 and ending in 2020 00:00.

Please post a screenshot of the client status screen. It’s also vital that the date/time/timezone are correct on your device.

Can I send it via e-mail?

If you’d prefer not to post it in public then you can open a service desk case with Spring Signage directly - assuming this is an Android client.

My apologies, as I mentioned above these are Win 8.1 machines.

Oh right. It’s just the thread is about Android devices (and is in the Android room)!

Can you post a screenshot then showing the top right of the client information screen? It shouldn’t have anything sensitive on it but shows the Required Files status

I am a new user and as such not allowed to post images yet…

When I press “I” on the keyboard to bring up the current status I am getting few different error messages.

Here is an example of what I get:

It’s above that box what I need to see. It looks like you can upload images just fine!

It’s at the top right of the information screen. Labelled “Required Files Status:”

Please provide a screenshot of that, or exactly what it says

So it’s having problems downloading 2 files. Can you scroll down the Required Files list and see which ones aren’t at 100%?

It’s hard to say without having access to the CMS, but those are very likely 2 RSS feeds.

Check on the CMS that all your RSS feed URLs are valid, and that if any of them are accessed over SSL (ie start https://) that you’ve configured PHP to support that properly following the FAQ here:

So far all our content is from within our network and from internal sites. We are using Tickers that pull RSS feeds from our internal SharePoint sites. They all are using http://…in the url thread and not over SSL.

Is there a way I can investigate exactly what those missing resources are?

You need to enable debug and audit on th CMS and and on the display record within the CMS and then check the CMS logs

Is this the same CMS as you mention in your other thread about proxy settings?

In that case it’ll very likely be either an internal RSS feed, but you have your proxy settings enabled, or visa versa. If the CMS can’t download the feed itself then it will intentionally send an error to the Player to ensure it retries quickly rather than caching an empty feed.

Try disabling the proxy settings on your CMS if they are enabled

Yes this is the same CMS on an earlier post. We currently do not have any proxy settings enabled on the CMS. Our network though is behind the proxy (which we cannot easily make any changes to).

We just upgraded the CMS 1.7.2 and as of right now everything seems to be working as it should. Regarding the client updating with the correct RSS feeds.

I have the Log Level set to audit and debugging turned ON. I am not seeing any logs populate under Advanced > Logs in CMS. Any thoughts?

I’d suggest posting this as a new thread then since CMS logging has no bearing on Android client updating?