To be completed by the original poster:

CMS Version

Installation Method

Docker

Operating System

CentOS 7

Issue

Hi,
I’ve installed v2.3.2 originally into /opt/Xibo/xibo-docker-2.3.2 everything works fine but is that the proper place to install it?
Now I’m trying to upgrade to v2.3.3 using this link https://xibo.org.uk/docs/setup/upgrade-xibo-for-docker-install but it doesn’t seem to update.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks

Hi John,

Sorry to hear you’re having a bit of trouble upgrading your docker based CMS install. Could you provide more information about your issue, for example:

• Can you confirm what steps you are taking when you attempt the upgrade? If you can also provide screenshots that would help as well.
  • Are you making sure to stop your CMS containers before you download and extract the new CMS files?
  • When you download the latest CMS files, what command are you using?

You will also see in this guide how the upgrade process works for an Ubuntu install.

https://xibo.org.uk/docs/setup/xibo-cms-with-docker-on-ubuntu-18-04#upgrading

The process should involve:

• Stopping your containers from running.
  • Backup your current setup to another directory (recommended).
  • Download the latest CMS files and extract/replace them over the current files in your installation directory.
  • Start the containers up again.

It can take a short while for the process to complete, but once your CMS is accessible again you should see that it is upgraded.

Many Thanks.

Thanks Dan, I followed those instructions and that worked.
I have my install in /opt/Xibo/xibo-docker-2.3.2 can I move it to /opt/Xibo/?

Also can I just reuse the config.env and cms_custom-ports.yml from each previous version when updating or should I create new ones? I noticed the only line that I have to change was in cms_custom-ports.yml “image: xibosignage/xibo-cms:release-2.3.2 change to image: xibosignage/xibo-cms:release-2.3.3”.

Thanks again

Fantastic news, glad those instructions helped!

Regarding your install. you can indeed choose to move it to opt/Xibo. You will need to:

• Run the docker-compose down command.
  • Move the entire contents of the xibo-docker-2.3.2 directory to your Xibo directory.
  • Run the docker-compose up -d command to start your service running.

Please note that when you do this, it will create new containers for your services but you should find that your data is available.

Many Thanks.

Thanks Dan everything worked great.

Keep up the great work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi John, apologies for the delayed reply. Glad all is working as expected, thanks for letting me know it worked for you :slight_smile:

Many Thanks.

You should always reuse config.env as it includes your configuration. As you’ve spotted in most cases the only thing that changes between versions in the other compose files is the image version number, but that isn’t always the case. For example going between 2.2 and 2.3 the version for XMR changes too, and going from 2.1 to 2.2 I think adds the quickchart container, so it’s best practise to always get a fresh copy and make your mods to it.

1 Like

Perfect thanks

So the config.env never changes only the cms_custom file changes?

Thanks

You may occasionally need to add new things to config.env if we add new settings and you don’t like the default values we’ve picked, but that’s far less likely. In general you wouldn’t touch config.env unless the release note/s specifically says otherwise.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.