After installation of Xibo CMS 1.8.0 using Docker...now what?

With the instructions for Xibo 1.8.0 being as clear as mud, I poked around and discovered this useful link. (I would have hoped that the official install guide would have been as understandable and helpful for Ubuntu/Lubuntu noobs, like myself.

Anyway after much cursing and googling I was sucessful in installing Docker (easy) Docker Composer (a btch) and running the Docker Xibo CMS package (double-btch) and eventually typing in http://localhost on my new Lubuntu-based Xibo Server on my VMHost, I got Xibo. ta-da!

Now what? If I have to bounce the server or update software that MIGHT require a server reboot - however remote a chance that might be, do I just reboot the server and Xibo will run automatically. I won’t have to run Docker, or will I?

I certainly hope 1.8 improves the use of DataSets, and doesn’t misbehave with Windows clients that don’t update properly?

David

The article you describe IS linked from the Linux install section of the manual. The Docker section was significantly reworked a couple of days ago, and I really don’t think saying it’s unclear is fair. If you would like to contribute ammendments they will be gratefully received.

Docker compose is two lines to install per my guide. I’m not sure what you did, but you literally download it and put it in /usr/local/bin and make it executable.

Yes. Now it’s installed, it will come back up if you reboot the server. I’d suggest you work through the CMS Post-Installation guide as your next step. Again, this is linked in the manual as the suggested next step after you’ve installed.

Trust me what you’ve done is significantly easier than manually installing and configuring everything required to run the CMS.

To expand further. The manual contains the knowledge of what you need to install the CMS. It directs you to the detailed documentation provided by Docker for getting their environment working on whatever Linux or Windows you’re using.

The guide I wrote is the application of all of that knowledge for a specific distribution of Linux, with a specific version of Docker and Compose.

I’m afraid we can’t provide a detailed guide for every operating system and maintain those.

If we only provided a guide for Ubuntu for example, then those using other operating systems would have to try and reverse engineer those to work out what is required.

Hi Alex, thanks for confirming that Docker doesn’t need to run every time the server is rebooted… Although I have been working with Linux for many years I consider myself a total n00b, simple things for some people confuse me. The problem I think here is that although the article does list the steps to take, there is a “disconnect” when you are click on a link and jumped out of the original page and taken to another site that seems to talk about something unrelated.

I found it useful when I worked on your clarifying article because you added the command lines in the article that one could cut/paste into the terminal. The main documentation on Xibo doesn’t do this.

For example the “Download and extract the Xibo Docker archive” section doesn’t help users HOW to extract, or merely mentions “the only requirement is that the Docker installation can read/write to it.” but doesn’t provide assistance of how to check this.

The Xibo installation documentation mentions (in no great detail) that Docker needs to be installed but doesn’t say that Docker-Compose ALSO has to also be installed.Thus some people might install docker and then wonder why “docker-compose up -d” will not work.

You are right. The Manual CMS installation is a very difficult process to follow. There are so many third party dependencies that sometimes don’t work.

I will try to give you more specific feedback from a n00b’s point of view, but the article that I referred to was the only one that worked for me!

I’m not sure we’re looking at the same documentation:

http://xibo.org.uk/manual-tempel/en/install_docker.html

Clearly states that docker-compose is required, and explains where to go to get it.

Docker Compose is also listed in the requirements section on the CMS install page:

Unfortunately, we can’t in the manual have a step by step for every operating system as I’ve already mentioned. That’s why I’ve put that guide together to show the steps in the manual implemented on one specific system. They will vary with a different distribution of Linux, so people using those will need the information the manual provides to install.

We don’t say in the manual HOW to extract, because, again, that’s a very different process on a Windows machine, or a Mac, or on Linux.

If someone is willing to commit to producing detailed instructions for each and every operating system, and maintaining those at each new release of Xibo and or Docker or Docker Compose, then we’d love to have those in the manual. However, we don’t have the resource to do that within the project currently.