Accessing Xibo via HTTP

Xibo CMS 3.1.1

Docker install

Windows 10 - 64bit

PHP Version 8.1.5

XAMPP v3.3.0

Issue

I am having difficulty accessing Xibo from another computer via http. I have no issues when I RDP into the computer that has the CMS installed.

I can access XAMPP (http://{computer-name or ip address}/dashboard/) but I cannot access Xibo login. There is no Xibo folder in the Xampp htdocs directory. I followed the directions using Docker and it didn’t say anything about copying the Xibo folder there. There is so much information out there that I think I am getting the install mixed up with older versions. Either way, the CMS is working and I can access it on the local machine. I am not able to access it from other computers unless I remote in. I do need to access it via http even though there are other tools available. Also, I do not have the computer setup as an IIS although I don’t have a problem doing that I was just trying to follow the directions given.

I think the problem might be a simple fix and I am probably over thinking it. Any suggestions?

I haven’t use IIS for a long time, but if you are familiar with it this is probably the way to go.
1st
You’ll need a fully qualified domain name registered and pointing to your computer that is hosting Xibo.
2nd
You’ll need a staic ip address or at least subscribe to something like no DNS to be able to piont the dns records to the ip of the machine hosting Xibo.
3rd create the domain in IIS and then delete the default domain folder and point it to your Xibo folder.
You’ll also need to either set up Nginx or Apache to deal with SSL or browser will just keep blocking the access.

Now I didn’t do it that way.
I built a lamp stack and installed Xibo on that as a virtual machine. I then used Nginx to deal with SSL with Let’s encrypt.

If anyone is interested I can fling together a how to and step by step.
I access Xibo through a sub domain and it works really well.

Thank you for your response. I haven’t used IIS in a very long time either. I am interested in how you did it. Would you mind sharing your setup instructions?

I will have a chance to write up a tutorial tomorrow. But I first need to ask the admins if they will allow the tutorial. I have to consider that Xibo is “Open Source” and the admins, developers and support workers all give a lot of time free time to its existence. I note that there is an installation service (as a paid service) and this probably brings in a small revenue stream, so I’m keen not to publish my tutorial if that infringes on there income.
So let me run this by the admins and if they agree, I’ll post a tutorial from bare metal to fully qualified domain.

1 Like

We do have a guide, available from the administrator documentation which you can follow here: Xibo CMS with Docker on Ubuntu 18.04 | Xibo Open Source Digital Signage

Thank you to @Halfhidden for making the kind offer to write this up :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.