1.7.8 CMS, R62 - Layout will not play

We have a unit that no matter what we do it refuses to play a layout. The same layout works on other devices.

We had R59 when the problem started on two screens in a display group. We attempted a remote update to R62. We found that the update will only go in on players NOT assigned to a display group, unless we tell the display group as a whole to install an updated version (BUG?)

Once we updated the units to version R62, one unit started to play the layout. The other unit still refuses to show the layout and says that it is invalid. We removed the unit from the display group, leaving only the default layout of one image on the device. We then re-added the unit to the display group. It downloaded all of it’s content, and then refused to play the layout again.

468238	2017-01-17 21:48:05	Client	DisplayManager	Unable to StartNextLayout: Layout has been changed after pre-check, probably due to blacklisted media. Skipping.
468237	2017-01-17 21:48:05	Client	DisplayManager	Cannot set the next Layout from the Schedule. Schedule Invalid
467426	2017-01-17 13:45:50	Client	DisplayManager	Unable to StartNextLayout: Layout has been changed after pre-check, probably due to blacklisted media. Skipping.
467425	2017-01-17 13:45:50	Client	DisplayManager	Cannot set the next Layout from the Schedule. Schedule Invalid
466295	2017-01-17 13:40:32	Client	DisplayManager	Unable to StartNextLayout: Layout has been changed after pre-check, probably due to blacklisted media. Skipping.
466294	2017-01-17 13:40:32	Client	DisplayManager	Cannot set the next Layout from the Schedule. Schedule Invalid
462529	2017-01-17 13:30:36	Client	DisplayManager	Unable to StartNextLayout: Layout has been changed after pre-check, probably due to blacklisted media. Skipping.

Any ideas why? The players are basically identical.

UPDATE: I removed the display from the display group. Copied the layout that was causing issues, scheduled the two layouts, the one we copied and the other that was playing, that were in the Campaign assigned to the Display group, and everything works fine. So the question is why? That should be basically the same.

I’m not sure I follow you here, if you assign new apk either to specific display or whole display group that auto-upgrade should work just fine. You’re saying that if display is a member of display group then when you assign apk to that specific display it will not work? That would be rather weird.

Did you try it with ‘blacklist videos’ disabled?
Perhaps it failed before for some reason and if that option was enabled it didn’t try to download/play those videos again.

Technically yes, unless when you copied the layouts you also ticked the ‘Make new copies of all media on this layout?’ which would result in new media ids, which would bring us back to my point about blacklist videos.

That is what seems to happen. 4 players in two seperate Display groups, all sent the same update. Waited over 30 mins for the update to happen. Players all set to check in every 10 mins. 1 Campaign assigned to each Display Group. Campaigns total play time is about 3 mins. After 30 mins, rebooted each unit, waited another 20 mins. Still didn’t update. Removed 1 unit from the display group, waited for the unit to check in. Sent the update again, unit checks in and updates. Did the same with the other 3 units. I agree that is strange, unless this is preparation for sync’d playback between displays.

Was already disabled. But good suggestion. :slight_smile:

Make new copies of all media on layout was not check. Another good thought. :slight_smile:

I have since re-assembled the campaign and rescheduled it using the layout that was copied. All is fine. Still strange that the problem even happened and that it was resolved by a simple copy of the layout, removing the old layout from the campaign and then adding in the copied layout.

I’d say that’s very likely a caching issue. When you’ve assigned the update via the group, I expect the Player cache isn’t being invalidated for each of those Players. You can do so manually by either editing each of the displays and saving making no changes, or edit the Display Settings Profile assigned to those displays, and saving making no changes.

If that then works, it’s a caching bug and we’ll need to log that.

I did try to re-save the each displays settings, and the display profile. That also did not seem to make a difference.