Xibo Library Permissions

Hi All,

Im setting Xibo up for a local primary school, im looking at setting up staff with permissions to update content, so far I have it locked down where I need it however, I dont seem to be able to allow staff to view the media library, I have enabled everything I can think of, can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

So they can see media library on the left side menu but can’t see the actual existing media files?

If that’s the case then similar to layouts you will need to give them at least view permissions to existing files.

So the very minimum:

Page Security
Homepage and Login

Menu Security

Dashboard
-Library

library menu
-Media

Top Nav
-Library

And at least view permissions to each media file you want them to see.

Thanks I got the menu and page security right just didnt realise you had to set the permissions on the files too.

Is there a way to automate giving permissions or have a default permission set whenever a file is uploaded?

To some degree yes.

The one thing you might want to consider is change the ‘Media Permissions’ in settings->permissions in CMS.
If you change it to ‘public’ then all newly uploaded media files will automatically have ‘view’ permissions assigned to them.

It’s not perfect because everyone with access to your library will see those files.

In 1.8 it’s possible to assign this setting to group, so it would be better, but in 1.7 it’s not possible at the moment.

Thanks that’s awesome! I have also noticed when editing a region it doesn’t display the timeline. I can add an image but not change it

Yeah, so when you assign permission for a layout make sure to tick
’Update these permissions on all layouts, regions and media.’ then it should be fine

Again in 1.8 we have inherit permissions which makes this process more user friendly, in 1.7 you will need to tick this checkbox I mentioned (as well as view/edit permissions)

works a treat thanks for that! sounds like 1.8 will a worthwhile upgrade, how easy is it to update the CMS

1.8 is in alpha stage and at the moment you can’t upgrade it yet (it works only with fresh installation)
Of course since it is in alpha so it’s an early preview mostly for community to test it, it’s not yet production ready :smiley:

But yeah 1.8 is definitely something everyone in community should look forward to, but it still needs some work before we fully release it.

More details:

Hi,

About permission. I want an user only view and download. They cannot delete or edit but still can add media to library. How to disable this function.

Thanks,
Hieu Nguyen

If user has access to this page then he will have access to add media button.

If you want to make sure that users will not upload any media files you could set User/User group library quota (it’s in KB).
You can set it on Users or User group page.
This way they won’t be able to upload files larger than the library quota (just don’t set it as 0, as this means no limit).