Xibo has stopped working

Hey All,

we are having some issues with our clients, the app becomes unresponsive and windows asks to close it. all the clients are playing videos of different sizes and are on windows 7 embedded sp1. the CMS is at 1.7.3 and our clients are at 1.7.2 and 1.7.3.
the error log states that it crashes on MF.dll a quick search tells me the dll is from Windows Movie Maker but that is not installed on our clients.

Anyone else had any similar issues and can point in the right direction ?

Thanks in advance !

Generally things like this are missing .net framework updates. Install ALL of them from Windows Update - including any optional ones. It can also be graphics driver related. Make sure you’re running the latest from your card manufacturer - especially if it’s an Intel graphics card.

Finally make sure they’re all on 1.7.3 as there have been significant changes to memory management within the 1.7 series so the newest should be best.

Hello Alex and thank you for your response.

I have buillt 3 different test setups and the one fully updated (client 1.7.3, windows updates, drivers etc.) has the most problems. the full error is listed below.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: XiboClient.exe
Application Version: 2.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 551a9d4c
Fault Module Name: MF.dll
Fault Module Version: 12.0.7601.18741
Fault Module Timestamp: 54d03be7
Exception Code: c0000095
Exception Offset: 001bb837
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.320.65
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

i am currently testing with a different codec pack, will post results as soon as i have them.

unfortunatly the different codec pack didn’t solve our problem.
have unchecked the double buffering setting on one of our test builds and its looking promising.

– edit –

when pressed reply the screen just crashed.

hi again

i finally pinned down the cause of these crashes.
we are playing HD videos rendered by an external production house.
They where using Apple ProRes with the default codec, this combination caused our crashes when they send us videos rendered with MPEG-4 and H.264 Compression the crashes where gone.

— EDIT—

I see the ticket is closed but still wanted to reply to your reaction, the codecs where installed, when playing the video with Windows Media Player the crashes didnt occur so my guess is that its a combination of the type of rendering and XIBO.

Great. Thanks for the update.

So likely installing updated codecs to play back the ProRes content would fix the original crash - but if the H264 videos are working well then that sounds like the best solution.