Xibo Client doesnt run in Fullscreen Raspi2

I´m using a Raspian 2 and installed the (complete /pre-installed) Image.
I created the Layout, Design etc. on my PC.
I´m making a Layout for a 2560x 1440 Screen.
So when is start it on my Raspi, its not Full Screen, with black borders.
But when i change the site.cfg, the Shell return a couple of several errors.

Best Wishes

The project has never supported the Raspberry Pi. The hardware simply isn’t powerful enough for our needs.

Some people from the community ported our old Linux Player over, but the performance is bad and it isn’t stable.

If you’re setting up a fresh system, please use a supported platform.

Xibo on Raspi 2 runs without Problems …
The once problem is, that the Resolution isnt viable to set on 2560 x 1440.
Wich datas do i have to edit ?

Wishes

How did you install Xibo Client on Raspberry Pi 2? @HS_Infomonitor

I downloaded the Image on my PC
I 7zipped the image out of the folder
i installed it on SD with Win32DiskManager

What operating system did you install on Raspberry Pi 2? @HS_Infomonitor

Raspian GNU/Linux 7 (Wheezy)

What image did you download? Thanks. @HS_Infomonitor

I downloaded the image http://bit.ly/1SvknBS from Post1 of http://www.forum-raspberrypi.de/Thread-andere-xibo-cms-fuer-automatische-praesentationen.

Hello Alex:

Not to hijack this thread, but since you mentioned it, can you provide some more pointers to those doing the porting of the pyclient; and what server version it’s paired to? Thanks.

On similar note, I respect the fact that you’ve invested a lot in X4A and have hands tied just supporting win users, but do you forsee any new pyclient on the (near) horizon?

As you know from previous posts, I do not deploy windows OS because it can’t hold a candle to linux from any perspective; and as such am bound to the 1.6 release. Will that be for eternity?
I suppose I can live w/that as it does what I want/need despite the improvements to later versions (in both form and function); but what makes later versions incompat w/a working pyclient? Or did you just stop due to berkelium/libavg?

In these ensuing years, I’ve invested a lot of mind-share in xibo and have watched it migrate towards closed-source (X4A) and/or an exclusive windows user-base; despite seeing both your and Dan’s footprints all over the web in a linux programming context (xda,cnx,Ggroups…)

Considering the growing capability of Rpi and kin, can
you state if those devices (or even linux in general) will
ever get the client development it deserves from Springsignage? Or, are you leaving it to others in the community to adopt and if so, can (or do) you help/assist at least with coordinating that effort?

TIA,
Rion

Hi Rion

I really think we’ve been super clear about this already.

There’s been extensive initial discussion here:

We do intend to develop a replacement Linux player - the details of which have already been published on this forum here:

I don’t see us targetting current RPi hardware. It really isn’t a good choice. It’s limited in power and expansion, especially when compared to systems like the Intel Compute Stick, NUC etc. It’s very much geared to things like Kodi where a single video playback is sufficient. Xibo is much much more demanding than that.

The existing Python player is tied to 1.6 series CMS and would take significant work to make it compatible with a 1.7 CMS, and given it’s unreliability and fragile software stack I’m not prepared to do that. It’s Open Source and you are of course free to do with it as you wish within the licence terms, but we really wouldn’t be moving on from it if we felt it was salvageable in its current state.

I really don’t think your comment that Xibo has moved towards close source is in any way fair or true. Spring Signage has released a commercial application to bring Xibo to Android, the funds from that pay for the project to run, and pay the development and support teams, without whom there wouldn’t be the system in its current state. Xibo would likely be yet another abandoned project on Launchpad or Github, or at best running at a much slower pace and with a far less mature product.

The reason there’s a step change between 1.6 and 1.7 in terms of Player compatibility is that around that time, we started doing alot of the pre-rendering on the CMS side - for example to support datasets, improved tickers etc. The now ancient version of Chrome available to us in libavg via Berkelium simply can’t render that content. Berkelium is a dead project (because there’s nothing behind it driving it). A clean break is required to a stack which is supportable going in to the future - which is what we’ve proposed and what we will deliver.

Thanks for the prompt reply Alex and I didn’t mean to sound disrespectful of all the hard work put into Xibo.

Having been there, done that… I can appreciate that having a pyclient that is supported on all hardware
configurations, and having to deal with the inevitable flood of questions makes the decision to drop it easy.
For me, having one common arch/platform and a successful build of libavg/libbrowsernode, the pyclient has
proven very reliable and can handle anything I throw at it, very complex layouts with lots of graphics…

The added bonus is being able to manipulate the application w/X utils, control where and how it runs (which vt, which xorg.conf to use with which X-layout…) as a way to integrate/interleave other signage-oriented apps along side xibo.

I agree that the RPi may not have the horsepower for this kind of application but was only sugesting that it probably will have more capability in the future; and if so, make a fine client. For the TB, I could see any RK3188/3288
(or newer, or amlogic device) running picuntu or the like (linux on minix) as a possibile alternative.

Regarding open, versus closed, source - I spoke out of line, apologies. I get that X4A is the funding mechanism for
your other business parts and that the time you dedicate to end-users is substantial. Though I have some X4A
clients running, the entire platform (regardless of the app) is far from robust and not nearly accessible as a
linux system.

Regardless, thanks for your efforts and I look forward to seeing the breadcrumbs littering the 'net when you do get around to implementing a ‘new and improved’ linux client. Hopefully those linux-heads in the xibo community will
rally, I know I will!

fixed it, do you know how to add an extra page in the top nav ?

Please start a new thread if you have a different question