Will WatchDog restart Xibo if freezes?

Hi guys,
i am wondering,
I have some freezings on my 1.7.8 Window clients, will WatchDog restart the client application if it freezes?
I am having freezing issues with clients where i have few JPG images which makes me wonder why?

Best regards

Here is the log i got from cms for the client that is freezing,
any ideas?

Layout Change to C:\Users\admin\Documents\Xibo Library\96.xlf failed. Exception raised was: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\admin\Documents\Xibo Library\96.xlf' because it is being used by another process.
6600850	2017-06-12 01:46:25	Client	[UI Thread] MainForm - ChangeToNextLayout	Prepare Layout Failed. Exception raised was: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\admin\Documents\Xibo Library\96.xlf' because it is being used by another process.
6600849	2017-06-12 01:46:25	Client	[UI Thread] MainForm - PrepareLayout	IOException: System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\admin\Documents\Xibo Library\96.xlf' because it is being used by another process. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost) at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) at System.IO.File.Open(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) at XiboClient.MainForm.PrepareLayout(String layoutPath) in c:\Users\dan\www\xibo-dotnetclient\MainForm.cs:line 563
6600828	2017-06-10 19:24:18	Client	[UI Thread] MainForm - ChangeToNextLayout	Layout Change to C:\Users\admin\Documents\Xibo Library\96.xlf failed. Exception raised was: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\admin\Documents\Xibo Library\96.xlf' because it is being used by another process.

It depends what you mean by “freezes” - if the operating system locks up, then no. If the operating system allows input (i.e. is not locked) then the watchdog will restart Xibo if it stops.

However, the error message you’ve indicated doesn’t mean Xibo has stopped, just that it cannot load some content.

Firstly i’d recommend upgrading to 1.7.9 as there were a number of fixes to the Player in that release. If that doesn’t help, i’d check that you don’t have another process (virus scanner for example) accessing the files in the library.

Thanks Dan!
how about 1.8.1?
Do we have any freezing issues on that?
I am going to switch to 1.8.1 very soon.

There are no general issues in that regard as far as we know - although as Dan has mentioned, it looks like something else is trying to access the same files as Xibo - it could be anti-virus, or second Xibo Instance if you have more than one running.

Hi Peter,
thanks for the response.
I have got only one instance running in the machine.
Yes,
i have Windows security essentials but i am pretty positive that it isn’t because of that.

The best thing to do at this stage it upgrade your player to the latest version in that series, to see if that improves problem.

Thanks Peter! :slight_smile:
Will my player still work if the player is v 1.8.1 but the CMS 1.7.8?

No, you will need to go to 1.7.9 player

Thanks Dan,
i am unfortunately not planning to go for 1.7.9.
I need to go for 1.8.1
So,
are you saying that 1.8.1 player will not work with CMS 1.7.8?
not even temporarily?

It won’t work with a 1.7 series CMS. The other way round works for a temporary setup (1.7.9 Player with 1.8.1 CMS).

You would need to install 1.7.9 Player (or 1.7.8) to work with your 1.7.8 CMS.

Thanks guys! :slight_smile:
No worries, i will be upgrading the players to 1.8.1 and i hope they will no longer freeze.