Upgrading with docker "Waiting for MySQL to start"

Im finally making the leap to 1.8.1.

I have a cloud server that i run multiple applications on including my website etc.

I have root access but i mainly use Plesk Web admin to manage it.

Plesk has Docker installed and when i search the Plesk docker manager it gives me all the versions of XIBO and lets me download and run the docker environment. Once down and running it gives me all the volume mapping and environment variables.

In the docker console tells me “Waiting for MySQL to start”

MySQL is running on the server because other (Including an older version of xibo is using it that i want to upgrade)

I presume these are the same environment variables all need to be configured. Is there a guide on where or what they should become? I changed the SQL info to my sql server info and its still saying waiting on mysql to start.

Declan

I came back and this was in my docker log. I presume im just being an idiot and not doing something right.

Waiting for MySQL to start - max 300 seconds
MySQL started
New install
Provisioning Database
Configuring Database Settings
Setting up Maintenance
Updating settings.php
Configuring Backups
Configuring Maintenance
Running maintenance
Starting cron
Starting webserver
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ (2)
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ (2)
AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server’s fully qualified domain name, using 172.17.0.2. Set the ‘ServerName’ directive globally to suppress this message

Is the MySQL definitely running and can be accessed?

In your 1.8.1 CMS, do you have anything in shared/db folder?

@alex any other ideas? Or should down -> clear shared/ -> up solve this? (assuming that it will be able to connect to the MySQL at all obviously).

It sounds as if you’re just running the container standalone without docker-compose?

You can do that, but you’ll also need to run the XMR container as well.

Both XMR and web containers will need the right environment variables and volume mappings setup for them.

There’s some guidance here:
http://xibo.org.uk/manual-tempel/en/install_docker_without_compose.html

It’s also worth looking at the docker-compose file as that details the shared volumes, container links, and exposed ports you’ll need to use:

Not intentionally. Plesk had docker and it literally gave me the option download xibo and run the container. Im really new to using docker so its going to take me a while to understand it.

Is my best bet to run it from the command line?

How will this affect my other services running on this server?

I’m not familiar with Plesk so I can’t comment on that directly.

Assuming you have command line access, you’d be best running with docker-compose from the Remote MySQL compose file, to attach to your existing database, and running the CMS on a custom port (ie not 80).

You would then use Plesk to create a reverse http proxy to get inbound traffic from port 80 to go to your Xibo webserver running on the custom port.

Alternatively, you could do a custom install of Xibo without Docker, but it will need to be on it’s own virtual host I think.