Upgrading from 1.6.4 to 1.7.3

I’m trying to upgrade our Xibo system from version 1.6.4 to 1.7.3. The process I’m using on our test server is the same process I used to upgrade from 1.6.3 to 1.6.4 earlier today without issue.

<>Dump a copy of the database
<>Move all of the files out of the IIS directory for the Xibo site
<>Extract a copy of 1.7.3 into that folder
<>Copy the settings.php file back into that folder
<>Navigate to the Xibo site and follow the onscreen instructions to upgrade

When upgrading from 1.6.4 to 1.7.3 I see the following:

<>No ticks at all on the prerequisites page
<>Upgrading from database version 72 to 87
<>35 seconds later I get the error “500 - Internal server error.”
<>Refresh browser
<>Still no ticks on the prerequisites page
<>Upgrading from database version 80 to 87
<>Finally I get the following error:

An error occurred running the upgrade. Please take a screen shot of this page and seek help. Statement number: 81. Error Message = [SQLSTATE[42S21]: Column already exists: 1060 Duplicate column name ‘moduleSystemFile’]. File = [Array]. SQL = [ALTER TABLE media ADD moduleSystemFile TINYINT NOT NULL DEFAULT ‘0’].

Upgrading from database version 80 to 87

Hopefully this will mean something to someone. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

I’m not sure why you get the initial error.

The subsequent one is because the upgrade has half-run. To run it again you’d need to roll your database back to an earlier backup and try again.

You should definitely have ticks on the pre-requisites page - which suggests perhaps you’re using a very old browser (IE8?) or the archive you’ve downloaded is corrupt in some way. Perhaps try restoring your database backup and downloading a fresh copy?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I’d been using Chrome 41 and didn’t always seem to get ticks but since you mentioned IE I tried that and get ticks every time. I was still getting the error 500 message until I enabled verbose error reporting in IIS and found that IIS was timing out the upgrade.

When I increased the timeout to 600 seconds the update was successful first time and took about 80 seconds to complete.

The solution was found at the following link (I will cut and paste the solution here in case the link stops working).

http://forums.iis.net/p/1076662/1872096.aspx

Here is how to set the configuration with IIS 7.0:

%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd set config -section:system.webServer/fastCgi /[fullPath=‘C:\php\php->cgi.exe’].activityTimeout:600

You need to change the ‘C:\php\php-cgi.exe’ to the actual location PHP that you registered with IIS.

If you want to make double-check that the configuration worked properly, you can check it like this:

%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd list config -section:system.webServer/fastCgi

Thank you for your help in fixing what turned out to be a configuration issue with my web servers setup. I’ve tried the upgrade a few times and they’ve all run successfully on the test server so I’ll apply the same solution to our production server and I’m sure it will work.

1 Like