Upgrade to 1.8.0-rc2 didn't work?

I’ve been a sattisfied Xibo user for years now. Last week I wanted to take a look at 1.8.0-rc2. First I installed 1.7.9 on a test server. After that, I overwrote the files with the contents of the 1.8.0-rc2 zip. This took quite a while (more files than before?).
After the update, the logon screen and the about screen both said it was (still) version 1.7.9 (screenshot). Also, I didn’t notice any changes in the cms.

Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Best Regards,
Daniel

Here the upgrading notes http://xibo.org.uk/manual-tempel/en/upgrade.html

When you log in as administrator to your CMS does it start the cms upgrade wizard?

No, i didn’t see the upgrade wizard. I also thought that was odd, because I have upgraded Xibo multiple times in the past without any problems.
Is it allways necessary to upgrade from 1.7.x? Isn’t there a way to perform a clean install?

Of course there is a way to make a clean install, please see http://xibo.org.uk/manual-tempel/en/install_cms.html
there is also docker installation guide there, which we would recommend.

Then I think I have misread it. I will try a clean install instead. Thanks voor your help

This might be a very dumb question, but I really don’t understand.

If I download the 1.7.9 release, I can see that the zip and tar.gz contain all kinds of files. In the root there is (among others) a install.php and a index.php.

If I open any of the 1.8.x releases, it has way more folders and no index.php or install.php. So when I extract this to my webserver and browse to the URL, it says “You don’t have permission to access /Xibo/ on this server.”.
I Guess it is because it can’t find an index (.php/.html or any other).

Am I doing something completely wrong?

I have found it in the manual, I need to go to the web folder…

1.8 has a different folder structure so that we could support “secure by design” principles and not expose 3rd party library folders to the web server (and therefore the internet). Therefore with 1.8 only the web folder should be accessible over the web. This means your web server needs to be configured to serve files from that location only. We also require URL rewriting to be installed. These things are addressed in the release notes and also in the CMS install guide Peter has linked you to.

Once you have the web server configured it is just a case of copying in a new archive as you did with 1.7. However there is now an even easier route via Docker - an upgrade becomes a single command launcher upgrade

As a side note, in 1.7 we also used libraries, but had to painstakingly check each one for this type of security before we could use it - which often involved modifications to the library. This massively slowed down our development of the product and meant we couldn’t keep libraries up to date as much as we’d like.

Thank You very much for explaining this. I love some of the new features, keep up the good work