Upgrade.php loads blank upgrading to 1.6.4 from 1.4

Hi

I’m working my way through the CMS upgrades. I’ve replaced the contents of my xibo directory with the contents of the unzipped download, made sure it’s got the ‘right’ settings file, and connected to the server. It goes to upgrade.php, but as a blank screen. I’ve tried it on both my workstation (windows 7 / firefox) and on the server (ubuntu / firefox).

Sure I’ve just done something dumb, could anybody tell me what it is please :slight_smile:

Best wishes
andy

Did you follow the upgrading instructions? https://xibo.org.uk/manual/en/release_notes_1.6.4.html

I hope that by ‘replaced’ you mean you didn’t copy it over the top?

Yep, that’s what ‘Replace your existing installation with the new version from the tar.gz or zip file’ means, surely?

I did take a copy of all the original files first though.

Interesting, I just noticed and release notes for 1.6 series do not mention it, however I’d expect it is the same as in 1.7 and 1.8 series ie should not copy it over the top.

It should read ‘Replace your existing installation with the new version from the tar.gz or zip file. Do not copy over the top.’

which means just that ie move the old files elsewhere, and then extract a fresh copy in their place.

The reason being sometimes we’ll delete files that are no longer required, and if you then leave your old versions in place, the CMS may not work properly because the old files will interfere.

I don’t recall if it was absolutely required in 1.6 series, but I believe it was and if you’d want to upgrade it further ie to 1.7.9 for example, then that’s definitely how you should do it.

Hi

Not a problem. I removed all the files from inside the Xibo directory and put a fresh copy of the files from the zip file there instead and copied in my settings.php file - unfortunately while it still goes straight to upgrade.php, the page is blank

:frowning:

andy

Could you try different browser just ot be sure it’s not browser issue please?

If you open dev console on the page, does that show any errors?

Hi Peter

Just tried Chrome, same result.

If I go for ‘inspect element’ in firefox and switch to console I get

“The character encoding of the HTML document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the page must be declared in the document or in the transfer protocol.”

:slight_smile:
andy