Updating CMS 1.7.9 to 1.8.1

Hi,

I’m using a “normal” installation of Xibo right now and I want to update to Xibo 1.8.1 without Docker.

Can I do this like normal upgrade, or do I need to do a complete reinstall because of the changed structure?

Did anyone else do an upgrade from 1.7.9 on a shared hosting environment?

Thanks

Kevin

According to the Documentation it should work, however, when I upgrade by doing an install of 1.8.1 with the existing database, it says:

An error occurred populating the database. Statement number: 74. Error Message = [SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column ‘isSystemNotification’ in ‘field list’]. File = [data.sql]. SQL = [INSERT INTO group (groupID, group, IsUserSpecific, IsEveryone, isSystemNotification) VALUES (1, ‘Users’, 0, 0, 0), (2, ‘Everyone’, 0, 1, 0), (3, ‘xibo_admin’, 1, 0, 1), (4, ‘System Notifications’, 0, 0, 1)].

After that, it doesn’t go on because it’s seeing entries already:

An error occurred populating the database. Statement number: 36. Error Message = [SQLSTATE[42S01]: Base table or view already exists: 1050 Table ‘oauth_client_scopes’ already exists]. File = [structure.sql]. SQL = [CREATE TABLE oauth_client_scopes( clientId varchar(254) NOT NULL, scopeId varchar(254) NOT NULL, id int PRIMARY KEY AUTO_INCREMENT ) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8].

I’m glad this is a clone test, but how can I do a clean upgrade?

Tudududu… I missed a step in the upgrade :wink:

Replace your backup settings.php file in your Xibo installation directory

That’s an important step! :slight_smile:

Since it’s

You will probably have an issue to make XMR working for you, but other than that, everything should be fine, may I assume that the upgrade was successful or do you still have some issues?

A test upgrade seemed to be working, although when I did the same with the primary setup, when I put back the settings.php and got to the CMS, it just logs me in and shows me the new CMS without updating database tables. In the “version” table I see version 1.8.1 but many functions were clearly not working and I don’t see my layouts.

I’m restoring a backup today and trying again for the sake of perfection :stuck_out_tongue:

And by “shared hosting environment” i mean it’s shared with other websites of our own. I used an alias to set this up and we have access to the server itself.

And a new fresh install doesn’t seem to be working either, I suppose because we use nginx and Apache. Seems like I have to put up a new VM just for Xibo :frowning:

If 1.8.1 is in the version table then the upgrade definitely ran. At a guess the issues you’re seeing are browser cache related. You should clear your browser cache and you may well then have a working system.

Well, it didn’t work out perfectly after all. We decided to go with the cloud hosted version :wink: