Setting up a Development/Production server

CMS Version

Currently 2.3.8 (self hosted docker install)

Player Type

Tizen

Hi there,

When we started using Xibo it was just for a bit of digital signage. By now we’ve moved on to over 30 screens, several of which are becoming “mission critical”. Because of the function of these screens (info of machines on manufacturing floor, heat camera info, expedition info), it will no longer be possible to quickly update the CMS. Ideally I’d like to move to a system where we have 2 servers: one development server and one that controls the live screens.
Is there an easy way to clone and then copy (or even better synchronise) the content on a 2 server setup like that? The eventual scenario would be that once the development server is fully patched, we move the screens over to this server (which then becomes the production server) and wipe the old one, so we can set that one up as a development server again for future updates.
Currently I take a snapshot on our VMSphere after which I run updates, knowing I can roll back, but ideally I’d like to test (and possibly try new features) before I commit a production server to an update. Considering my work place runs 24/7 and there’s not a single day in the year when there’s no production and no loading/unloading happening, finding a ‘least disruptive’ update window is proving to be become problematic as more parts of the business have embraced this technology. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Niels

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.