Scheduling in Xibo for Android is accurate to a 10 second time window. A layout must meet the following criteria before it will be added to the schedule:
- It must be completely downloaded.
- All dependant resources must be downloaded.
- None of the dependant resources are in the blacklist.
- It is in its scheduled window (from date and to date).
- If there are any other priority layouts, it must be a priority
- The layout can be parsed and doesn’t contain any invalid items (empty
- If none of the above are true, the default layout is tested against
criteria 1 to 3.
- If the default cannot be played the splash screen is shown.
Checking the schedule
The Xibo for Android status screen provides 4 “schedule status” indicators which contain lists of Layout ID’s (as seen in the CMS). These 4 lists are:
- All Layouts: All Layouts the client has been informed of, including the default. Items with a * are not scheduled.
- Scheduled Layouts: Layouts from “All Layouts” that meet criteria between 1 and 5
- Valid Layouts: Layouts in “Scheduled Layouts” that pass test 6.
- Invalid Layouts: Layouts in “Scheduled Layouts” that fail test 6.
Failing Test 6
Test 6 can be failed in 2 ways - minor or major. A minor fail will mean that the Layout is removed from the schedule until the next time the client checks its schedule with the server. A major fail means that some media on the Layout will be blacklisted and will remain blacklisted until the client is restarted.
Long running layouts
The most common cause for a layout schedule to be “missed” is that the currently running layout is still in the schedule and it contains a long running media item (items with a high duration). This layout will need to finish before the new layout starts.