[request] Xibo for Raspberry Pi 3

Hello!

I have the Raspberry Pi 3 board and I was wondering if anyone has port the xibo client to run on ARM processors.

Images of rpi2 are not working :confused:

Maybe somehow windows xibo client can be ported to run on Windows IOT os and on ARM processors.

Hello!

If you have a search over this community for mentions of RPi or raspberry you will see this topic comes up a lot. The short answer is that the project hasn’t ever officially supported RPi and probably wont for the foreseeable future. The device isn’t powerful enough for our needs.

It may become easier to hack in support unofficially once we have a release of the cross platform player available.

Cheers,
Dan

Hello Dan, thank you for your reply.

It’s not only for raspberry pi 3 board, but for any ARM based board. And out there you can find powerful boards - btw I think that they do a good job on RPi3, it’s more powerful from RPi2, but I don’t know if it’s powerful enough to run the Xibo client app.

I tried (from firefox browser) to preview a sketch from admin panel and it’s running fine (with photos, videos and scroll text).

Hi

i also thought about using RPI or other ARM Boards for this Issue - and first i think about price per device and possibility of Maint.

After some search we decided to use Compute Stick Systems based on Windows.

We use this kind of Sticks as Terminalserver Clients and for Xibo at they work Very Well !!!

Also the Price is not a thing

If you calculate a RPI3 + memory + Power Supply + Case you will pay arround 60 Euros

We use Mele/Starcloud Intel Stick PC wich dont have a Fan and a realy good passive Cooling - you can order them for around 90 Euro including a valid Windows 8.1 or Win10 License (all prices without VAT) - and i think this is realy great !

We have many Video Content on our Xibo Layouts and they work very well - also HTML5 Banner/Sliders works fine - even jquery Picture Sliders works fine…

We dont user Flash or Pawerpoint …

For the sake of balance and because options are good :smile: our commercial Android player runs on any board that supports Android (most of which are ARM boards).

If you want something you can tinker with - at the expense of it not being on our recommended list - then you could look at the ODroid. There are also a bunch of interesting articles on the interwebs for installing Android on the RPi3

Hi

I have installed Android 6 (Marshmallow) on Raspberry Pi 3, and successfully installed and run the Xibo Android client in there (at least on a trial basis).

It works reasonably well, but I have NOT stress test it with some demanding HD video.

Regards

Well,

I have successfully ported RPi2 image with Xibo client to the RPi3.

It uses the 1.6 version of Xibo cms.

Video playback is ok, images too, static text ok.

The only problem that I have is with scrolling text.

Hello Michalis,
How did you make the image of the Rpi2 compatible with Xibo on the Rpi3?
For me, impossible to boot.
Thank you for your answer.

How to make it run on RPi3:

Make an sd card with rasbian os (eg wheezy)
Backup the boot partition (copy it e.g. to your desktop)
Make an sd card with Xibo 1.6 RPi 2 image
Delete the boot partition and copy/paste inside it the files from 2nd step
Put the sd card to RPi3 and power it on
Connect RPi with internet (ethernet connection)
Download PuTTY (the SSH and Telnet client itself) and make an SSH connection with your RPi. (you need to find the IP of it, see here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati … address.md
Username pi Password raspberry
Execute:

• sudo apt-get update
  • sudo apt-get upgrade
  • sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
  • sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
  • sudo apt-get clean
    Restart
    Correct time zone: sudo raspi-config

Done!