Remote Dataset from Excel File

I’m looking for help in getting this process started. My setup is that I will have an Excel sheet with data that I will export from another system once a month

and will save it to the same server that xibo is installed on.

Will setup the URL to point to this location. I’m unsure of how to set these tabs up to pull info from the Excel sheet

And the Column for Remote:

Your spreadsheet is currently an xlsx file, you would need to use a json file if you wish to remotely import your Dataset.

I would recommend converting the spreadsheet to csv, as this would allow you to import the Dataset without having to set it up as a remote Dataset. You can use Excel to save the spreadsheet as a csv file. I have included a link below to a guide for setting up a Dataset in the csv format:

https://xibo.org.uk/manual-tuttle/en/media_datasets.html

If you would prefer to set up a remote Dataset using the json format, the url must contain the path to the json file, not the folder it is contained in. This can be done by adding the json filename to the end of the url.

Many Thanks.

Hi Dan,

I was able to set up with this Import feature, but I wanted to automate this so was hoping to get the Remote dataset to work.

I’ve converted the CSV to JSON but still have no results when I click TestURL

Here’s my updated setup:

I used this site to convert:

[
{
“FIELD1”: “ATL”,
“FIELD2”: 186,
“FIELD3”: 123
},
{
“FIELD1”: “BOS”,
“FIELD2”: 31,
“FIELD3”: 21
},
{
“FIELD1”: “CHS”,
“FIELD2”: 181,
“FIELD3”: 160
},
{
“FIELD1”: “CVG”,
“FIELD2”: 58,
“FIELD3”: 43
},
{
“FIELD1”: “DFW”,
“FIELD2”: 90,
“FIELD3”: 44
},
{
“FIELD1”: “DTW”,
“FIELD2”: 350,
“FIELD3”: 35
},
{
“FIELD1”: “EWR”,
“FIELD2”: 529,
“FIELD3”: 82
},
{
“FIELD1”: “IAH”,
“FIELD2”: 90,
“FIELD3”: 50
},
{
“FIELD1”: “JFK”,
“FIELD2”: 0,
“FIELD3”: 104
},
{
“FIELD1”: “LAX”,
“FIELD2”: 247,
“FIELD3”: 241
},
{
“FIELD1”: “MIA”,
“FIELD2”: 71,
“FIELD3”: 97
},
{
“FIELD1”: “MSP”,
“FIELD2”: 21,
“FIELD3”: 10
},
{
“FIELD1”: “ORD”,
“FIELD2”: 1477,
“FIELD3”: 912
},
{
“FIELD1”: “PDX”,
“FIELD2”: 61,
“FIELD3”: 26
},
{
“FIELD1”: “PIT”,
“FIELD2”: 110,
“FIELD3”: 60
},
{
“FIELD1”: “SEA”,
“FIELD2”: 152,
“FIELD3”: 107
},
{
“FIELD1”: “SFO”,
“FIELD2”: 156,
“FIELD3”: 71
}
]

Thank you for the update. As the Dataset you will be using will be stored locally on the machine, I would strongly recommend using the csv file format and importing it as a standard Dataset. You will still be able to automate uploading the new version of the Dataset using our CMS API. I have included a link below to the API documentation, in particular the parameters for csv files:

https://xibo.org.uk/manual/api/#/dataset/dataSetImport

If you wish to use a remote dataset to import a local Dataset, we would recommend the following:

• Place your json file into the “/web/userscripts/” directory.
  • Once you have done this, you will need to enter into the URL field, on your remote Dataset settings, “http://(your CMS address)/userscripts/(yourjsonfile.json)”

Using the recommended settings above, you are telling the CMS to look at its local address, followed by the local directory where the json is stored.

Your json file as you have shown it in your reply, does not appear to be correctly formatted. I would recommend checking your json file to make sure that it has been correctly converted from the csv file. Your json file should look closer to the below sample:

"data":[
      {
         "FIELD1": "ATL",
         "FIELD2": 186,
         "FIELD3": 123
      },
      {
		"FIELD1": "BOS",
		"FIELD2": 31,
		"FIELD3": 21
      },
      {
		"FIELD1": "BHS",
		"FIELD2": 181,
		"FIELD3": 160
      },
      {
		"FIELD1": "CVG",
		"FIELD2": 58,
		"FIELD3": 43
      }
   ]
}

Again, I strongly recommend using the csv file format in a standard dataset as this is designed to be used with Datasets locally stored.

Many Thanks.