Sometimes it is required to restart your Android device, if you don’t have a direct access to the device itself it’s still possible to do it remotely. To do it you’ll need access to shell commands.
Shell Command adds ability to control system power management options, and run external commands based on the layout’s activity. This allows a great deal of flexibility in power options on client-side.
It’s possible to do control and use shell commands with SSHelper application for your Android device.
Rooting your device
Method described below needs a rooted Android device. Details for rooting, installation and configuration can be found in the relevant sections of the links below:
Rooting your device
Installed and configured on you Android device SSHelper application will let you remotely reboot your device as well as couple of other useful options.
To properly install it and configure a connection between your CMS and remote access point, please follow instructions below:
Install SSHelper application on the rooted Android device - SSHelper.
Connect with an SSH client (for example PuTTY) to your Android device, you will need to enter:
- Android device’s IP address,
- Port 2222,
- Password “admin”.
In command line type in “su”, and click accept on the Android screen (SuperUser rights).
In the SSHelper application:
- In the configuration menu enable “run SSHelper sevice at boot”, and disable all the other options below that
- Enable “Show password” and change password and port as you wish
- Restart SSH server and application from the top right corner menu
Now you have properly configured SSHelper installed on your Android device.
For security reasons we recommend use of Public-key authentication.
You can find detailed instruction about how to set it up on SSHelper website under “Public-key (passwordless) logins” section.
Now you can reconnect using PuTTY to the Android device using the new settings.
Here is a list of command related to Xibo which you can now use:
- “ps | grep xibo” - to see if xibo process is running
- “am force-stop uk.org.xibo.client” - to stop Xibo process it
- “am start uk.org.xibo.client/uk.org.xibo.player.Player” - to start Xibo process it
- “reboot” - to reboot device
There are also other means to have remote access to your Android device.
- Shell Command,