Problem in installling Xibo

I copied the xibo cms to Htdocs folder inside xampp and tried localhost/xibo. I was expecting a webpage to load but all the files and folders inside the xibo folder are displayed instead.
I think the index file is missing but I am sure there isn’t any in the fresh downloaded copy (I tried it again).
I had once used Xibo a few months before and had no problem.
I tried to download version 1.7.1 but, couldn’t help myself.
Help Please.

You need to configure the .htaccess file. and some other settings as well. Please look here. (I believe you are installing 1.8.1? Without Docker?)

A lot thanks for the response. I am not a tech guy. I know almost nothing about php.
Last time when I used Xibo with an earlier version it was quiet easy. I copied the xibo CMS inside the htdocs folder and I was done. I could simple type localhost/xibo and start browsing.
Couldn’t it be made that easy ?
I even tried to download version 1.7.1 but, couldn’t help myself. Is there anyway that I can get the previous versoin of the CMS ?

I wish it could be that easy. But security is a must these days, and with any software, as you add features it grows more complex. So eventually it is a bit harder to install and configure, especially given all the different server environments. So the Xibo developers did identify that installation was becoming complex, so they decided on using Docker containers, and manual install as an option. Docker containers and wrapping ones head around that is unfortunately a-whole-nother thing in itself. But I would suggest the Docker route after going down it.

They should be available. I am not sure where they are available for download, but maybe try Googling, Xibo CMS and the version number you want.

You might also consider host xibo as a solution.

All CMS releases are in GitHub, that being said we would recommend either 1.7.9 or 1.8.1

1.8.1 can be installed in Docker environment (which we recommend) or similar to earlier releases on the webserver of your choice - instructions for both are provided in the relevant manual pages.

As Colin said, you can also consider purchasing hosting for your Xibo CMS, project sponsors (Spring Signage) also offer CMS cloud hosting which might be of interest to you.