Preview only displaying background color?

Hey, still nothing displayed.

Any chance you could screen shot that and post what it is doing?

You may need to read a few topics before the system will let you upload the screen shot. Either that or post it to dropbox, google drive or what not and post the link.

You got it. I’ll do that right now. One thing I should mention that I just noticed that the status column shows an “x” by each layout. Could this be the issue?

More than likely. The question is why? This in my experience is because of empty regions, or the layout has something on it that is not local to the Xibo CMS so it can’t determine if everything will work correctly unless the layout is actually loaded.

Here’s the dropbox link to the screenshots. You’ll notice that the last screenshot shows the empty page. If I go in and add a background color, the background on the preview page changes.

The link is not showing, Try and read through post and the system should let you post the link.

I’m sorry, I forgot to paste the link. It’s been a long day lol. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fdimztdksqrdamn/AABGGmS0owqT1hmA_xmcrSMWa?dl=0

I am thinking this must be a permissions issue on the Xibo Library folder. I think that you should check the apache server has permissions on the library folder.

Which version of the CMS did you install?

The Xibo library has full read/write access for all. I’ve installed xibo-cms-1.7.4. Is there a different version I should install?

No you have the correct version.

Can you try and access the CMS from a non Mac machine if you have access to one?

Other than that, I would say turn on full logging in the maintenance section. Clear your log file, try to make changes to the layout and then try previewing again. Afterwards check the log for any errors such as SQL errors. Have you also configured your php.ini file as described here and settings in the CMS for region and language?

Tested on a PC with the same results. No errors showing in log. I followed the instructions in that link exactly. Thank you.

Well I am at a lost here. I think you will need to wait for Dan, Peter, or Alex to respond.

My best guess is that there is either an SQL error, or permissions error.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Thank you so much for your help. I’ll keep trying different things and wait for others to chime in.

So I just tested this on a live server… same results… However I noticed, when I make a copy of the default layout and edit on that one, It previews fine… So weird…

Something sounds like it just is not getting setup correctly.

What version of XAMPP are you using? What os is on the live server?

Hi

@theaor I didn’t read this whole topic before I sent my reply to your ticket, so I was unaware that Colin already tried a lot of things to solve this issue.

So when you make a copy of layout created by the system it’s fine but when you make a new layout from your account something is wrong. That points us to the server configuration/settings/permissions issue. I hope that together you, Colin and we (Spring Signage) will be able to solve it.

For the sake of clarity, this is what I understand from reading the ticket:

• The Layout Designer shows correctly
  • The Layout Preview does not
  • All modules are affected (you’ve posted screenshots of an image example)
  • Accessing the preview from a different browser/PC makes no difference
  • You haven’t tested with a Player application
  • There isn’t anything in the logs
  • The default layout previews fine

From your comments so far I am assuming you won’t be too phased by using the Developer Tools in your browser? The preview kicks out a lot of console logging that might help us narrow down the problem. Would it be possible for you to capture this console logging and paste it in this thread?

Just:

• Launch the preview as normal
  • Open developer tools
  • Look in the console tab

Thanks,
Dan

Hey Dan! I am re-visiting this issue as we’ve decided to try this again. My apologies in my very-delayed reply, we were pulled away on another project. So we’ve setup a new install on a windows VPS server, with the same results. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! This is what console displays:

html-preview.js:374 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘id’ of undefined
self.nextMedia @ html-preview.js:374
self.run @ html-preview.js:381
self.run @ html-preview.js:214
EventEmitter.emit @ html5Preloader.js:127
html5Preloader.loadCallback @ html5Preloader.js:383
(anonymous function) @ html5Preloader.js:232
onready @ html5Preloader.js:248

Hello there i may find out what is going on with that error.

I had it right now and fixed it,

If you look at your layouts listing you may notice that there is a cross on the status of the layout ( that’s what i got )
its means that your layout have an error and cant be displayed.

for me it was because i had an empty region that broke all of it.

you may look into that and see if something wrong is going with one of your region and you may have forgot to delete the empty region that spawn when you create a layout.

I hope that’s will fix your problem

(sorry for the bad english french here)
Best regard,
tommy