Powering TVs On and Off

Hello,

I am trying to turn my TVs on and off using a Minix NEO X8-H Plus player. I have read through all of the other posts related to this topic, but have not been able to get anything to work. Specifically, I can’t figure out how to install the HDMI CEC controls so that I can control the TVs using a shell command. Has anyone had success with this?

Thanks,
Christian

Please have a look:

On rooted device, shell commands will work just fine, as for hdmi-cec it could be in your TV/monitor setting (if it supports it)

As far as I am aware there aren’t any options for automatically turning on a X8-H - turning off can be done with shell commands if you have a rooted device. reboot -p is the command to use.

Thank you for your responses. My issue is that I just don’t know how to enable CEC control on the Minix player (eg how to install libCEC, etc). I understand that this is not currently supported, though. Just trying to devise some solution so that my displays aren’t on 24/7.

I’ve been looking for the same thing but with a different system. What I’ve found is that you really need to find out what your vendor has built into the Android system. I’m using Odroid and they have added the drivers and libcec to the base Android. What they don’t do is deliver the cdc-client command. I’ll be looking at how to build the command when I have some time in the next week or so.

If Minix doesn’t deliver the Android level support you would have to add it yourself. I would check with the Minix people or the Minix community.

I’m hoping that with Android now having an API specification for HDMI-CEC that some standard support will evolve that can be incorporated into Xibo. That will depend on the vendors, though.

In Android 5.0 we have the TV API’s available, which do appear to support CEC. However as you say this would rely on device manufacturers designing firmware that means their box is considered a TV rather than a tablet/phone (most pretend to be tablets/phones at present).

If you do come up with some shell commands / intents to interact with libcec, we’d be interested in your findings. We are hoping that we might be able to ship display profiles for specific devices which contain the correct commands for certain actions. (in 1.8 we have display specific commands).