PDF media occascionally displays blurry on devices updated from R104 to R108

We updated two DSdevices recently from 1.8.104 to 1.8.108, and noticed that the pdf media displays blurry content from both devices. All other units NOT currently running the latest XIBO client update appear to display the content just fine.

The blurry content is not all the time, its like after three or so play cycles, it goes blurry. I will hold off on applying this update to the other devices.

Thank you for passing on this information. I would be happy to test your PDF files on my own Player if you can send me a download link in a private message.

Many Thanks.

Same problem here. I have two regions, each with 6 PDF files and a media duration of 30 seconds. Randomly some PDF’s are very blurry.

I am testing Android version 1.8-108 and seeing this behavior too. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks!

Any update on this issue? I am experiencing the same thing. I have the same layout scheduled on multiple DS Devices. The problem is only being reported on one of the displays. I rebooted the problem DS Device, and most of the PDF’s cleared up. I rebooted a second time and the remaining PDF’s cleared up.

Thank you for your message and sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue.

I also use DSDevices, specifically the DSCS9. I remember having this discussion with some of the Community and was unable to replicate the issue on my own device, even when testing with PDFs they kindly supplied me.

I have spoken to the Development team about this and they have confirmed that no changes were made to Xibo for Android between R104 and R108 that would affect how PDFs are displayed. When both R104 and all following releases display a PDF, Android Webview is used to render them on your screen. Naturally this would be the next place for us to investigate this issue.

My first recommendation would be to check the Firmware version running on your DSDevices and make sure that all of them are running the same and latest version. If you can post the versions you are running I would be very grateful.

Next I would suggest installing the Android Webview APK onto your devices to ensure you are running the most up to date version. I was able to find an APK on APKpure. Once you have done this, please run the PDFs again to see if the performance is improved on that one device that is giving you a blurry rendering of the PDF. Please do let us know what version of Android Webview you installed and any difference you saw in the performance.

Many Thanks.

I checked across two of our devices, the problem one and a good one. Both are:
Firmware version MHC19J.20190116 TEST-KEYS
System 6.0.1
Kernel 3.14.29

Running Xibo 1.8 Code version 108

I downloaded and installed Webviewer 74.0.3729.157.

The problem shows itself when the PDF files are updated, which occurs on a weekly basis. I will report back next week, if the problem occurs again.

Thanks for letting me know all of this information, I will wait to hear from you how the performance is.

Many Thanks.

Updated the pdf files today and got the same result, blurred display. The blurring occurs on pdf files that were not updated. I rebooting the device and they cleared up. Confirm the problem is still only occurring on that one DS Device. All others render the updated PDF’s just fine.

Any other ideas?

I updated my player to ver. 201, problem is solved.

Thank you ChristianM82 for confirming that Version 2-201 of the Xibo player is not experiencing the same blurriness. If the blurry PDFs should return , please update this post with more information.

Many Thanks.