Moving 1.6.0 database to 1.7.2 on a different machine

I’m not sure if this is the correct mechanism for doing this:

I’m currently running 1.6.0 in production on an Ubuntu server. I wanted to try the newer version and set up a Windows 8.1 workstation (easiest option). Using Xampp rather than IIS.

Backed up the existing 1.6.0 database and copied the backup to the new server

Xampp and Xibo CMS 1.7.2 installed fine and everything progressed OK - created a new database. Then I restored the 1.6.0 database to the 1.7.2 server and started it up… all OK

Upon starting up, it commenced the upgrade but then kept coming up with this message: “Upgrade
An error occurred running the upgrade. Please take a screen shot of this page and seek help. Statement number: 80. Error Message = [SQLSTATE[42S21]: Column already exists: 1060 Duplicate column name ‘render_as’]. File = [Array]. SQL = [ALTER TABLE module ADD render_as VARCHAR( 10 ) NULL].
Upgrading from database version 72 to 86”

Perhaps what I’m trying to do isn’t feasible, or there’s a more “correct” way of doing it. I more or less followed the instructions, although the instructions at http://xibo.org.uk/manual/en/release_notes_clonedb.html are made for a Unix setting.

Thanks…

hi peterd

this is help you

This means that your upgraded failed and was rerun (render_as was added the first time it ran and then again the second time).

What you are trying to do is entirely feasible, but we will need to see the error from the first upgrade failure.

Thanks for your reply

Here’s the sequence of events from the first “next” to upgrade

Upgrade
An error occurred running the upgrade. Please take a screen shot of this page and seek help. Statement number: 80. Error Message = [SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1062 Duplicate entry ‘1’ for key ‘PRIMARY’]. File = [Array]. SQL = [INSERT INTO bandwidthtype (bandwidthtypeid, name) VALUES (1, ‘Register’), (2, ‘Required Files’), (3, ‘Schedule’), (4, ‘Get File’), (5, ‘Get Resource’), (6, ‘Media Inventory’), (7, ‘Notify Status’), (8, ‘Submit Stats’), (9, ‘Submit Log’), (10, ‘Blacklist’), (11, ‘Screen Shot’)].
Upgrading from database version 72 to 86
I agree I have a valid database backup and can restore it should the upgrade process fail
It is important to take a database backup before running the upgrade wizard. A backup is essential for recovering your CMS should there be a problem with the upgrade.

Then lots of these: Upgrade
An error occurred running the upgrade. Please take a screen shot of this page and seek help. Statement number: 80. Error Message = [SQLSTATE[42S21]: Column already exists: 1060 Duplicate column name ‘render_as’]. File = [Array]. SQL = [ALTER TABLE module ADD render_as VARCHAR( 10 ) NULL].

Thanks

Problem sort of solved: I set up my “test server” with v1.6.0 (as copied across from the production machine), then updated it to 1.6.4… and then updated to 1.7.2. Upgrades ran through without a hitch.

So the issue seems to be with upgrading from 1.6.0 directly to 1.7.2.

Only remaining question… If I upgrade our production server to 1.6.4, will I need to upgrade all of the clients immediately or can I do it progressively as time permits?

Thanks

1 Like

You can do them progressively, but new displays would need to start out with 1.7.2 (it would be better to use 1.7.3 now).

That is upgrading from 1.6.4 to 1.7.2, I think you probably missed a prior error.

Upgrading from database version 72 to 86

With all of these upgrade problems the common thread is 1 statement that fails in 1 file, which then causes a knock on effect as subsequent retries won’t run correctly.

Thanks for your reply. Does your response indicate that I could use a 1.7.3 client against a 1.6.4 server? Thanks

You can’t as far as I’m aware. It’s possible the other way around in the short term, but you should be aiming to have matched versions of CMS and Player

1 Like