Modify Source Rules

Hello,
I hope this is the correct category to write my questions in, if not, please excuse me in advance.
I need to perform an action (print) on machine where player run. The needs are very simple: user “press” an element on display and printer, connected to machine where player run, make a print of a file received from a server (it’s a local server, not Xibo CMS).
I have two ideas about it using a webpage widget (I called it [button] from now).
First solution:

• [button] post self machine IP to local server;
  • local server reply (post) file to a tiny server on player machine
  • tiny server print file;

Second solution:

• [button] post to a pre-configured url localhost:port (tiny server);
  • tiny server get file from local server;
  • tiny server print file

So I think that in both case I need to modify player adding this tiny server. My questions so are:

1. Is it the right way to do this?
  2. Are there any rules for editing player source? I would like to add a feature without touching anything else. I think about future updates of the player in which I will surely have to manually update my version but following the rules (if exists) could become easier. I have tried to find something here without success;
  3. About source code: I didn’t find / understand what the versions are pointed in two branches “master” and “release/winforms” on git. Readme does not seem updated in relation to these branches and it is not clear to me which version it is preferable to start from (v2-R256.7 is the one currently downloadable from the main site) or if there are any rules to follow to choose it.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english,
Tiziano.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.