Lost of datas in CMS

Hello there !

I have a problem with xibo 1.8 and 17.12.0 docker.
After restarting the pc it seems that everything that was contained in the CMS (media, layouts etc) disappears. Which obliges me to recreate each time the presentation …

Looking for a bit I came across this link: https://xibo.org.uk/manual/en/install_docker_win10_64bit.html#special_considerations

The command runs without error but I do not recover the content of the CMS …

Am I missing something?

While we’d expect that containers restart (stop/start commands) should fix it on docker for windows, there were 2 or 3 cases recently when that did not help straight away.

I’d suggest the same thing I did in these other cases, reset docker to factory defaults, share the C drive again and run the up command.

Thanks for your reply Peter.

I will try. When you talk about running the “up command”. Do you mean the command to stop and restart the container (the one on the link in my post) ?

Btw, can we expect some update from Docker to solve the problem ?

after resetting docker to factory default you will need recreate the containers, ie share the C drive and then run

docker-compose up -d

or if you’re using custom ports then

docker-compose -f cms_custom-ports.yml up -d

As for the bug in docker for windows, I’m afraid I do not know, we don’t really have any impact on that.

Despite the reset of the Docker and the rest of the procedure, I lose again my entire CMS every restart of the pc or Docker …

the “docker-dial stop” and “start” commands are not efficient.
the CMS remains empty.

I’m starting to think that I’ll have to find another solution than Xibo … :frowning:

Could a Xibo installation on a 2016 server solve the problem?

Currently I am in the context of an installation on a Windows 10 PC.

For a production system, I’d strongly recommend a Linux server. It’s faster and more efficient than Windows, and you won’t have any issues with Docker.

That said, you shouldn’t loose data on Windows with Docker either. Are your files there in the shared directory? ie is all your media stored there as you would expect?

Xibo is installed in C:\xibo\xibo-docker-1.8.7.
There’s lot of files (cms…config etc) and a folder name “shared”.

In Docker, C drive is shared.

But my Xibo Library folder is stored in C:\users%username%\my Documents folder.

Can it be the problem ?

That would be the Player library in c:\Users\username\My Documents. The CMS library (which is where the source data is stored) should be in c:\xibo\xibo-docker-1.8.7\shared\cms\library assuming the directory you’ve given is correct.

Are there files in there?

Here’s the files I have on the folder

So there’s no content there. All those files are just the standard load that comes with a new CMS, and you can see they were all created today.

If there’s no data there, then there’s nothing to be able to recover.

I suspect you were running without the storage properly shared or similar.

Did you run the Docker reset already? If not, please don’t, and DM me TeamViewer details and I’ll see if I’m able to salvage anything for you.

Unfortunatly, I’ve already did the docket reset this morning.

Then I recreated my layouts etc, imports media in library.

After restart, everything was lost.

I will try to upload some files in CMS, check the shared folder, then reboot the PC. Then, I will send you a teamviewer if it is possible for you :slight_smile:

If you’ve done the reset I won’t be able to get anything I’m afraid.

If you upload a media item now, you should see that same file end up in the shared/cms/library directory.

Assuming you do, you can restart the machine. Once restarted, you’ll need to stop/start the containers, and then the changes you made should be back.

Will try this now, and keep you in touch :grinning:

So, (for now), I’ve :slight_smile:

1. added some media in CMS

2. seen those medias in share file

3. restarted the computer

4. start deocker-compose stop/star command

5. seems that evrything is ok in shared folder and in CMS

It is a good news (but pretty strange btw) because I did the exact same things I did in the past days (when I loose everything although I used the command to restart the container…).

I will try now to restart again the computer to check if it works perfectly or if it was some “chance” :thinking:

Alex thanks for your help I will keep you in touch after the second restart !

1 Like