Location of 'serverkey' on Windows client?

Greetings!

I may wish to change our ServerKey from time to time. Ideally I’d like to be able to run a script on the Windows clients that updates it (as opposed to connecting to each system and doing it through the UI).

1. Is this possible? Or does the UI encrypt it somehow?
  2. If it is possible, where is it stored? (I swear I looked all over for it before asking…!)

Thanks!

The server key of a CMS to which Windows client is currently connected to is in…Xibo client config.xml

You can find it in the following path:
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\XiboClient.config.xml

there you will find (among other settings) the <ServerKey> </ServerKey> line

1 Like

@PetCauseMedia
I have used a VBScript to modify this file in the past. Here is what I have used.

Set WshShell = CreateObject(“WScript.Shell”)
Name = Mid(wshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings( “%COMPUTERNAME%” ),3,5)

Set fso = CreateObject(“Scripting.FileSystemObject”)
set logFile = fso.OpenTextFile(“C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\XiboClient.config.xml”,1,False)
set logFile2 = fso.OpenTextFile(“C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\XiboClient.config.xml.bak”,2,True)

Do While logFile.AtEndOfStream <> True
theText = logFile.ReadLine
if(instr(theText," INSERT CURRENT VALUE HERE") > 0) then
theText = " INSERT NEW VALUE HERE"
logFile2.WriteLine theText
else
logFile2.WriteLine theText
end if
Loop

logFile.close
logFile2.close

fso.CopyFile “C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\XiboClient.config.xml.bak”,"C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\XiboClient.config.xml"
fso.DeleteFile “C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\XiboClient.config.xml.bak”

Just past that in a txt file and save as a .vbs file and then you can send it via sftp and execute it from a ssh script. I left the COMPUTERNAME part at the top, because I have used this to change the display name values, and its a nice way to set unique values per device. I understand your application of this script would all be the same value though, so you can remove that line if you don’t need it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

1 Like