Linux Player - Technology Preview 0.2.1-a

We're very excited to be releasing today a "Technology Preview" of our forthcoming Player for Linux.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.xibo.org.uk/linux-player-technology-preview-0-2a/
2 Likes

SO excited for this…! Thank you for making it happen so quckly.

1 Like

Run perfectly!
We are very happy and the result of this preview was very gratifying.

1 Like

“./Player: error while loading shared libraries: libgeoclue.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory” on Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful Aardvark) 64-bit. gstreamer1.0-libav installed at latest version (1.12.2-1).

We’ve not provided or built binaries for Ubuntu 17.10. For now we’re just after feedback on Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit please.

Just tried the player on a Minix x7. Can’t wait for this! I just need to figure out how to use a screensaver the same way we did on the Windows player. Perfect touch screen setup!

Works well for me too. I’ve only tested so far in a VM though. I’ll try some of my layouts when time allows

1 Like

We are so exited to hear about this.

I just tested it on ubuntu 16.04, a fresh install. The following errors occured:

• The video did not play due to a missing codec (everything else worked)
  • The rss sample just showed a black screen (without any errors visible on the console)
  • The unicode sample said it can’t show the URL

Did you give the full path to the samples directory? The errors you mention imply perhaps you didn’t.

Thanks for your reply, I did not. I will do another testrun in the next few days.

1 Like

Loving Xibo! Thanks for all of your hard work team! When I get some money I will absolutely donate to the cause.

Linux Player running smoothly on my 16.04LTS 64bit - i3-3110M Quad 2.4GHz 4GB Laptop.

I’m getting very excited about the progress!
Any idea of a rollout date yet or is it still too early?

Best Regards,
ReadySign

Thanks for your feedback. When we have any more information about development we’ll make another announcement.

Hi Alex,

Everything fine with sample Layouts but After copying windows player content to sample directory to check with my layout i’m getting below error while running player:

./Player --example-dir=/home/amit/Downloads/1st/XiboLinux-0.2a/samples/inpdigitalclient1.7.10/
[13:43:36] [info]: Example directory is /home/amit/Downloads/1st/XiboLinux-0.2a/samples/inpdigitalclient1.7.10/
[13:43:36] [debug]: parse layout
[13:43:36] [debug]: parse region
terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injectorboost::property_tree::ptree_bad_path >’
what(): No such node (options)
Aborted (core dumped)

Regards,
Amit

Was the layout taken from a 1.7 or 1.8 series Player please? Your path suggests it might be from 1.7, in which case it would’t be supported.

Hi XIbo friends,

Any thoughts on ETA for the Linux Player? Microsoft has made the lives of digital signage operators completely miserable with Windows 10. We’re really excited to start using Ubuntu with Xibo…!

Cheers

We don’t have a date to announce. We’ll have another preview coming soon though.

The next Development Preview is now available:

Hello
Is it possible to use counter with this linux player like we used to?
I stil have a server with old specs with counter running.
Thanks!

I guess not as this player can’t connect to the old CMS verison that supported the Counter… Thanks anyway

1 Like