Installing with IIS on server 2012?

So I’m getting ready to install Xibo to try it out for our application. We have a web server at work we use to run various things so I’d like to leverage that. It’s running IIS on Server 2012.
I found this link with IIS Install instructions and just wanted to make sure this is correct as it seems like an awful lot of steps and a lot of config changes required to get it installed
http://xibo.org.uk/manual/en/install_environment_windows_iis.html

So I have a few questions:

• Are those instructions above the official method of installing Xibo with IIS?
  • Will installing PHP for IIS and going through the instruction above have any affect on the existing sites we have running?
  • We have a SQL server but it looks like that’s not supported? Is that right?
  • If so, do I need to install MySQL on the web server itself or can that be installed on a different server?

Anything else anyone has run into with an IIS install that I should know about before I start?

Thanks!!

They are the official instructions.

We don’t test on IIS and while there are people running on it, you won’t find there’s masses of people with experience of it so I don’t know the answer to your second question. You may therefore find getting support if you do run in to issues more tricky than if you were using Apache under WAMP or XAMPP or similar.

Microsoft SQL server isn’t supported. You need MySQL

It can be installed on a different server, but in that case you’ll need to create the database and assign permissions to it manually. If you’re going to install it on another machine, it might be easier to install XAMPP or similar which does most of the hard work for you.

See the CMS post installation guide stickied on the front page of the Community site. There are several gotcha’s with IIS and uploading large files.

Kelemvor,

If I might add some insite…

We currently have Xibo installed and running on Server 2012 and IIS 8. It did take a while to get everything configured correctly. We needed to trouble shoot a few things to make it fully compatible, however I think that version 1.7.4 fixed most of the items. The biggest problem we had was getting the permissions set correctly on the Xibo folder and xibo_library. Given what we had to go through to make everything work correctly, I would follow Alex’s advice.

On our test server we used Windows 8.1 with WAMP and found it much easier, and much faster to install and configure Xibo.

To answer the question of installing PHP for IIS and it affecting other existing sites, it should not effect them as they are not using PHP currently.

So based on that I’m guessing I’ll be better of to spin up a VM with Windows 8.1 on it and just do it that way? Was hoping to just leverage some servers we already have but if it’s going to be a pain the ass then I’ll look into doing it the other way. :smile:
Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.