Inherited non-functional system

New job at a company using Xibo display boards. Displays are running old content and will not pick up changes. Display status from admin portal were mostly ‘X’. I updated a text item on a layout that was assigned to a display that had a status of (checkmark/ok), and it turned to ‘X’.

Where to begin? v1.7.9

Correction: Status is ‘!’

The first thing to do is to determine whether the Displays are actually pinging the CMS or not - you can see a “last accessed” date and a “logged in” flag on the Display page.

! means there is a content change in the CMS that the Display has not yet been made aware of (i.e. it hasn’t checked in).

X means that it has checked in and is reporting that it doesn’t yet have all its required content.

If they all go to X and stay there, you most likely have some issue with your CMS library folder being inaccessible - a look at the Logs page might throw up some pertinent information.

Thanks a bunch for the reply. Late on Friday I discovered I was looking at the wrong Xibo server. It never dawned on me that my predecessor would have had more than one service running, so I didn’t catch the clues right away. The eureka moment came shortly after I accessed the server from the button on the client piece and discovered that my relatively new user credentials were not valid there. There’s still some puzzlers … I’ve got content updates on most of my displays now, but they are status ‘x’… but I’m leaps and bounds ahead of where I was when I posted this topic. I’ll post more details next week.

Actually, I suppose it will be tidier if I post new topics as needed. I think I’m out of the woods with the “where to begin” problem.

No problem.

And sure thing - posting separate topics as you continue your journey is good. It might be worth giving this a read: https://xibosignage.com/docs/setup/xibo-cms-post-installation-setup-guide just to see if the recommended things have been configured.